Doreen Swift - Hillsborough

Sheffield History

Anyone who knows Hillsborough will know this place..

photo by peter jones - one of sheffield's best photographers

Does anyone know if 'Doreen Swift' is the same Doreen Swift buried at Loxley Cemetary ?

(says on headstone passed away in 1990, aged 68 yrs)

Guest simola

Does anyone know if 'Doreen Swift' is the same Doreen Swift buried at Loxley Cemetary ?

(says on headstone passed away in 1990, aged 68 yrs)

Yes it is. Doreen was my Grandma. Doreen was married to Thomas Henry Swift who owned GWC Swift and Sons Builders Merchant on Hale Street (off Abbeydale Road) if anyone can remember?

Many thanks Simola - and welcome to the website !

Doreen Swift is a legendary shop for folk from Hillsborough - it's like the 'Coles Corner' of Hillsborough to anyone growing up in the area

Wasn't that across the road from "The Umbrella" takeaway food shop, just along from the small car showroom that had "The Bug 70", a silly three-wheel car, orange; came out in 1970; often, incorrectly called The Bond Bug, as an eight year old, I used to go to that show window every morning, on my way to school, before standing at that bus stop in the picture.

Guest exmrbd

Yes it is. Doreen was my Grandma. Doreen was married to Thomas Henry Swift who owned GWC Swift and Sons Builders Merchant on Hale Street (off Abbeydale Road) if anyone can remember?

Your Grandad ( Henry ) used to be my Grandma's Landlord when she lived on Hawthorn Road

Guest beemerboy

Hi richardb the car was correctly called the bond bug and was made by reliant,the showroom was europa cars owned by walt dungworth who also owned waldot service station on middlewood rd at the bottom of darwin rd their main car sales at that time were nsu and volkswagen also volvo and wartberg.I worked there from 1958 to 1971.A friend of mine worked for doreenswift for many years and only left when she closed.In the sixties I knew a girl who lived over the shop.