Biggin and Barber families

Guest 127 Janey

Guest 127 Janey

I am trying to find more information about the cutlery firms my Great Great Grandfather - Henry Biggin apparently owned. May have been small cottage type industries or larger. According to family stories they are H G Long & Co, I E Sorby, Turner Son and Naylor. Henry had a Electroplate Silver or Silverplate mark of Henry over Biggin & Co over Sheffield.

May have existed partly in Bramall Lane as had a mortgaged property there.

Henry's wife, Alicia was daughter of James Barber, a Gentleman, who's money was aquired by winning a horse in a gambling game. From being apparently one of the richest men in England, he died in poverty in a Public House in Sheffield.

Any information about either family would be greatly received.

Hello and Welcome to you.

Just to let you know some great intellects are currently looking into this (and that bloke that lives in Portugal !)

This has kept me entertained for the last hour, during which time I have successfully found absolutely nothing.

Nearest I've got is I. & H. Sorby but quite early, what kind of year are we looking at here please ?

I am trying to find more information about the cutlery firms my Great Great Grandfather - Henry Biggin apparently owned. May have been small cottage type industries or larger. According to family stories they are H G Long & Co, I E Sorby, Turner Son and Naylor. Henry had a Electroplate Silver or Silverplate mark of Henry over Biggin & Co over Sheffield.

May have existed partly in Bramall Lane as had a mortgaged property there.

Henry's wife, Alicia was daughter of James Barber, a Gentleman, who's money was aquired by winning a horse in a gambling game. From being apparently one of the richest men in England, he died in poverty in a Public House in Sheffield.

Any information about either family would be greatly received.

Hi and welcome 127 Janey

I have found a possible link to Henry Biggin in Whites 1857 Directory.

Bickley Wm. Lyon, iron mercht., 7 St.

James’s st; h 16 Hanover st

Biggin Hy., table knife mfr,, 75 Pea croft;

h Daisy walk

Biggin Hy., saw mkr., 347 St. Philip’s rd

Biggin John, (successor to the late Chas.

Needham) mfr, of silver plated & German

silver handles, caps, ferrules, silver and

plated measures, &c., 12 Mulberry st; h

54 Talbot st., Park

http://www.n.f.wilson.btinternet.co.uk/809-817.htm

Guest 127 Janey

1881 census, 84 Grange Crescent Ecclesall Bierlow

Henry Biggin 48 Norton Derbys, Merchant & Manufacturer

Alecia Biggin 39 manchester

and family

source,

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/fra...arch_census.asp

Dear Neddy and all replies. Yes these are all definately my Henry Biggin. He was born in 1833 in Norton and took an apprenticeship at about 17. He bought shares in something called The Benefit Boot Company and I have been in touch with them but they were not able to give any more details. The Wolsterholme is a new find, thankyou very much for that.

I had found the Pea Croft entry, but no more info attached to that yet unfortunately.

Thanks to all of you for all the searching. I'm sure we will find more about him very soon.

Also found more info about James Barber. He died of Apoplexy (stroke I think) in the Paradise Inn, Campo Street in Sheffield in 1855. Have found a few more leads towards a James Barber in Sheffield of Tang Hall, but this is not my James Barber I don't think. So still looking for more info.

Thanks to all of you.

Also found more info about James Barber. He died of Apoplexy (stroke I think) in the Paradise Inn, Campo Street in Sheffield in 1855.

Could be this : Paradise Inn, 36 Campo Lane.

Is/was there a Campo Street ?

Guest 127 Janey

Richard

No you're absolutely right - it was Campo Lane.

Terrible when you get over excited about something, your fingers type just anythakjljing

Thanks

Jane

Geoffrey Tweedale's The Sheffield Knife Book mentions H.G.Long under 'Long, Hawksley'.

notes:

Long, Hawksley

by late 19th century, based in Hallamshire Works, Rockingham Street

earlier history...

the publication The Century's Progress* (1893) says it dates back over a century.

in 19th century came into possession of Henry Godfrey LONG, probably the H.G.Long, merchant, who died in 1853.

Firm continued under various titles with various partners (Wragg, Gregory, Marples)

By early 1870's - became Long, Hawksley & Co, merchants and manufacturers of cutlery and tools.

1911 became Ltd Company, HG Long & Co Ltd.

By 1913, moved to New Hallamshire Works, Boston Street.

By 1924 HG Long listed in Bridge St

1941-59 at Ecclesall Works, Rockingham St

Mark eventually taken over by Slater.

(mark - crossed daggers on a squarish shield, granted 1833)

Hugh

*I think I have seen this book in the local studies library.

I don't know if this is at all likely to be the same man...

Sheffield Local Register

(digest of local newspaper stories)

17 Mar 1875

Henry Biggin, Britannia metal manufacturer, charged with stealing patterns, the property of James Dixon and Sons, committed to the sessions, where (April 6th) the Grand Jury threw out the bill.

2 Apr 1875

Further charges against Mr. Henry Biggin; adjourned to April 10, and withdrawn.

There will undoubtedly be more in the actual newspapers.

Hugh

Guest 127 Janey

Hugh

Thankyou very much this. It is family "folklore" about these firms that Henry bought/ran, but it does not look like this particular one is true.

According to some letters I have seen, he must have been quite well off and he was listed on the census as Cutlery Merchant and Manufacturer, but obviously not of this company.

Regards

Jane

Guest 127 Janey

Hugh

This is a totally new item for me. I have not seen "our" Henry referred to as a Britannia Metal Manufacturer (although I would love it to turn out to be so as his grandson(in law) , my Dad's Dad was a Britannia Metal Spinner before the trade dwindled. It is the correct timescale, so I will have to do some more research. Thankyou.

Jane

Guest 127 Janey

Hi All

Have been doing some research myself since my last post. Henry Biggin had a mortgage on a property (170-174 Bramall Lane) in 1881 from a man called Henry Holdsworth.

Henry then leased that land etc to Charles William Fletcher in 1899.

I have since found that Charles owned or managed Sterling Works (and Butcher Works) but Sterling works appears to be in Arundel Street, not Bramall Lane.

Could it be that Henry ran/owned these prior to Charles.

Apparently he left a factory to each of his children at his death - so they must be somewhere.

There is also the Wostenholme and Biggin connection - possibly in Fitzwilliam Street at the time of the terrible flood as Henry claimed damages.

Any information would be very gratefully received as I am hoping to visit Sheffield very shortly, and would like to "see" what is left of anything.

Guest M Barber

My Great Great Great Grandfather was James Barber, whose daughter Alicia married Henry Biggin. I would be most interested to hear any information you may have about the family. I have a copy of one of his Wills and a picture of him also lots of other family information.

Melanie Hopewell (nee Barber)