W.J. Patchett, Builder & Contractor

Guest akademik

Guest akademik

I am looking for any and all information relating, directly or distantly, to William Johnson Patchett, born in Toynton (All Saints), Lincs., in 1885, and died in Sheffield, 1931. W.J. Patchett was a builder & contractor in Sheffield, apparently from the late 1890s onwards, first in partnership with Frederick Joseph Dawson (born Authorpe, Lincs., c. 1858), later on his own (although his elder brother George Daniel Patchett, and especially his younger brother Earnest Henry Patchett seem to have been involved in the business as well). Patchett's (only?) son, William Maxfield Patchett, had the W.M. Patchett builders's merchants business, first from Dodd Street, later from Holme Lane (at the site now occupied by Holme Lane Building Supplies Ltd.). One can trace activities of (Dawson &) Patchett with greater or lesser conviction on the strength of his (their) names being inscribed on sanitary inspection covers.

Apart from his own business premises, W.J. Patchett seems to have built only dwellings, in at least three areas: in the triangle Leppings Lane - Penistone Road - Owlerton (S'd Wednesday) Stadium (with Dawson); in the neighbourhood of Overton Avenue - Crofton Avenue - Darwin Road; and in Dodd Street - Trickett Street.

Any information confirming and/or extending the data above would be very welcome. Thanks.

Hope this helps ...

Daniel George Patchett Bricklayer 46 Vere Road, Wadsley Bridge Kelly's 1925

Ernest Hy. Patchett Brick Layer 101 Overton Rd. Wadsley White's 1911

Ernest Henry Patchett Foreman bricklayer 41 Dodd Street Kelly's 1925

William J. Patchett Builder 4 Croften Avenue White's 1911

W J Patchett Builder & billiard saloon 17 Withens Avenue & Dodd Street White's 1919

William Johnson Patchett Builder 4 Crofton Avenue, Hillsborough Kelly's 1925

William Maxfield Patchett Builders merchant Dodd Street; 44 Trickett Road & 127 Bradfield Road; h. 4 Crofton Avenue, Hillsborough Kelly's 1925

Couple of "spares"

Thomas Patchett Foreman 4 Clun Road White's 1911

Mrs Ellen Patchett 110 Vickers Road Kelly's 1925

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

I am looking for any and all information relating, directly or distantly, to William Johnson Patchett, born in Toynton (All Saints), Lincs., in 1885, and died in Sheffield, 1931.

Found this person, not 1885 !

William Johnson Patchett born July-September 1875; Spilsby registration district in Lincolnshire.

Certainly married young if born in 1885 !

William Johnson Patchett married Fanny Elizabeth Maxfield January-March 1897 in Ecclesall Bierlow

Tells us where the Maxfield bit comes into the equation.

At the time of the 1901 census William J (25 year old, builder and contractor, born Toynton All Saints, Lincs) and Fanny, 27 (from Sheffield) are living at 97 Penistone Road with William's brother Ernest H (18, single, born in Stickford, Lincs, hung like a horse).

At 91 Penistone Road Daniel G 28, bricklayer (Toynton, Lincs) and wife Annie 27 (born Sheffield), have three sproggs all Sheffield born

Daniel G aged 5

Annie E aged 3

and Florrie 1

OK I made up the bit about the horse .... he he

Any information confirming and/or extending the data above would be very welcome. Thanks.

Do you want his Parents ? or do you already have them ?

Daniel Patchett (36, born 1845 Swaby, Lincs) Foreman and Farmer 120 acres, employing 8 Ag Labs, 1 boy

wife : Maria R. (could be "B", see below), 39, born Toynton, Lincs

address : Fen Drove, Stickford

sproggs : Daniel G, aged 8

William, aged 5

Sarah E, aged 3

and Florence M, aged 1

Daniel died Oct-Dec 1918, aged 73, in Sheffield

Marriage : Daniel Patchett and Maria Barnes Burt Apr-Jun 1872, Louth, Lincs

Daniel Patchett, aged 25, Ag Lab, born Whitepit, Lincs

Daniel Patchett, aged 16, Servant, born Swaby, Lincs

Johnson Patchett, aged 59, born Swaby, Lincs, Ag Lab and grocier

Sarah, 49, born Thoresby, Lincs

William 9

Daniel 6

Ann Maria 5

spoggs all born Swaby

Johnson Patchett 45, Ag Lab, born Swaby

Sarah, 40

Mary 15

Johnson 8

John 1

back this far the name "Satchell" seems to be connected in some way (?)

Guest akademik

Richard B wrote:

>Hope akademik comes back for this "stuff", still it's kept me busy for a couple of hours !

Yes, I did come back :); wild horses (not to mention Earnest Henry Patchett, "hung like a horse" according to Richard) coluldn't have kept me away. Thanks, Richard, for your efforts. I did actually know some of your 'stuff' already, but certainly not all; and, of course it especially important to have the date of birth of W.J. Patchett corrected: by no less than a decade! Thanks again.

Otherwise, perhaps the most intriguing bit of info Richard supplies is

>W J Patchett Builder & billiard saloon 17 Withens Avenue & Dodd Street White's 1919

Is the billiard saloon for real?

Also of interest, about W.J. Patchett's father, 1881:

>Daniel Patchett (36, born 1845 Swaby, Lincs) Foreman and Farmer 120 acres, employing 8 Ag Labs, 1 boy

I cannot begin to imagine what 120 acres means, by way of viable size for a thriving farm, but 8 labourers (+ boy) sounds pretty grand to me; especially for someone who by 1861 seems to still only have been a "servant". One wonders why his sons all went to Sheffield and into the building trade, if there was a sizeable farming business owned by the family in Stickford. Unless Daniel Patchett worked as a foreman FOR somebody else, athe LATTER being the farmer who owned the 120 acres and employed a foreman (Daniel), 8 labourers and a boy. ???

Meanwhile, I remain interested also in tracing what W.J. Patchett actually built in Sheffield.

I have traced a fair amount of output by going through the Register of Approved Building Plans in Sheffield Archives.

But that only leads me to what W.J. built within the city limits of what was then Sheffield; for instance, the houses built in Vere Road next to Hillsborough Stadium, all almost certainly built by (Dawson &) Patchett (as appears from plenty D&P sanitary inspection covers in situ; and, all the houses are named after Lincolnshire place names, including Swaby (# 1-3) and Thorseby (# 49) that ancestors of W.J. Patchett turn out to hail from (for Toynton and Stickford: see Penistone Road 222, 214, around the corner from Vere Road)): these do NOT appear in the Sheffield Register of Approved Building Plans.

Plus: presumably, the Register of Approved Building Plans attributes projects to W.J. Patchett, "builder & contractor", only when he was acting on his own account, as a ('speculative') builder; but NOT when he was acting as a contractor: for instance, from the Town Clerk's Register of General Contracts, also in Sheffield Archives, it appears that W.J. contracted with the City of Sheffield for 12 houses on the Stubbin Estate in 1921, which does not appear from the Register of Approved Building Plans.

If anyone out there is still following me through so much detail ...

By the way: does anyone know where exactly the "Stubbin Estate" is? So that I can perhaps go there, and look for Patchett-inscribed sanitary inspection covers :)

Yes, I did come back :); wild horses (not to mention Earnest Henry Patchett, "hung like a horse" according to Richard)

W J Patchett Builder & billiard saloon 17 Withens Avenue & Dodd Street White's 1919

Is the billiard saloon for real?

Horse comment just me "having a laff" lol

Billiard saloon, apparently correct.

Guest akademik

At the time, it surprised me that W.J. Patchett, whom I knew (and am interested in) as a builder & contractor, should also be listed vis-a-vis a billiard saloon.

I have now found a report of Patchett's funeral. At the funeral, "The Wadsley Houses Social Club, Ltd., was represented by" no fewer than 20 men. I would now assume that the billiard saloon of 1919 and the Social Club of 1931 are somehow connected.

Does anyone have more information on the Wadsley Houses Social Club, Ltd.

I am intrigued by the addition of "Ltd." to a club.

Not much of an addition, but a couple of names ...

Matt G Nelson - Secretary, Wadsley House Social Club Ltd. Wadsley House, The Drive, Hillsborough (Kelly's 1925)

George Willis Binns - Steward - address as above

----------------

Not the only one with Ltd :

Robert Nelson - Secretary, Sharrow & District Social Club Ltd. 145 & 147 London Road (Kelly's 1925)

Guest akademik

Matt G Nelson - Secretary, Wadsley House Social Club Ltd. Wadsley House, The Drive, Hillsborough (Kelly's 1925)

George Willis Binns - Steward - address as above

----------------

M.J. Nelson is mentioned in the newspaper report as one of the men representing the Wadsley House Social Club at the funeral; I assume that that's one and the same person as Matt G Nelson (there's more names that the report mangles).

Indeed, it turns out that the Wadsley House Social Club still exists, at the address you found. I have been there a couple of times now :) Around the back of the building, there is a sanitary inspection cover inscribed with Patchett's name; he did not actually build Wadsley House (which dates from the early 19th C), but he would seem to have provided services when the building was converted to a club in 1919. Patchett was one of the founding members / shareholders in 1919; and he was president of the club in 1924.

The following is pure speculation. It is known that some builders developing estates were actively involved in increasing the attractiveness of an estate (and thus its profitablity) by promoting social amenities; I would not be surprised if the Wadsley House Social Club represents W.J. Patchett's efforts along those lines.

If anyone out there is still following me through so much detail ...

By the way: does anyone know where exactly the "Stubbin Estate" is? So that I can perhaps go there, and look for Patchett-inscribed sanitary inspection covers :)

Hi - have you seen the book "Growth of a city by Keeble Hawson - gives some background to the building of the Stubbin Estate (and sanitary issues). Also a map of 1902 - I assume the estate is either side of Stubbin Lane leading from Firth Park towards Sheffield Lane Top. As for poking about their inspection covers - I'd leave that one ;-)

Guest akademik

have you seen the book "Growth of a city by Keeble Hawson - gives some background to the building of the Stubbin Estate (and sanitary issues). Also a map of 1902 - I assume the estate is either side of Stubbin Lane leading from Firth Park towards Sheffield Lane Top. As for poking about their inspection covers - I'd leave that one ;-)

Thanks! Somehow, I seem to have been able to remain completely unaware of that book's existence. From what you helpfully supplied, it is an essential read for general background to anyone investigating anything to do with building in Sheffield. I will be in Holland for the foreseeable future, and apparently Hawson's book is not held by any library in the country, so it may be a while before I get round to perusing it.

As to sanitary inspection covers: that's not as insanitary as it may sound :)

Guest akademik

One Mr Patchett, presumably W.J. Patchett (1875-1931), builder & contractor in Sheffield, was elected to "the Committee" of the SHEFFIELD BUILDING TRADES' EMPLOYERS ASSOCIATION in their annual meeting of (around) 14 February 1922 (as reported in Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 15 February 1922, page 2, and in The Builder of 24 February 1924, page 321).

So far, I have been unable to find any more information on the Sheffield Building Trades' Employers' Association in general, in Sheffield Archives or Local Studies Library, on the web, or elsewhere; let alone information on (W.J.) Patchett as a member or an official of the Association.

Anyone?

Guest Melberry

The Patchetts are in my husband's family tree and I have only this afternoon been interviewing his 85 year old grandmother (the grand daughter of Sarah Elizabeth Patchett) who has many memories of Uncle Bill (William Johnson Patchett) and Aunt Fanny and has many stories to tell. I have yet to collate them all but feel free to message me if you want more information.