Firvale

dunsbyowl1867

Lots! I was christened at the Methodist Church in the background! This was our main shopping centre. Just off the photo to the right was a branch of Banners. The road to the right of the church is Owler Lane, but it was universally known as 'Stores Hill' because of the large B&C Co-op there. We lived on Skinnerthorpe Road, and the houses backed onto a high wall with broken glass set in the top. This was the back wall of the Co-op. There was a bakery there, and the houses were over-run with cockroaches (known as blackclocks) which everyone said came from the bakery because it was always warm there!

Like a lot of places in Sheffield it was quite villagey in that everyone knew everyone else, and generations of the same families lived round about. It was quite a nice area,most people were skilled workers or tradesmen, with a few managers in the semis at the bottom of Barnsley Road and up by St. Cuthbert's (just off the picture to the left.) Along the shops towards the church there was a coffee bar, quite an avant garde place to go in the mid 50's!

Lots! I was christened at the Methodist Church in the background! This was our main shopping centre. Just off the photo to the right was a branch of Banners. The road to the right of the church is Owler Lane, but it was universally known as 'Stores Hill' because of the large B&C Co-op there. We lived on Skinnerthorpe Road, and the houses backed onto a high wall with broken glass set in the top. This was the back wall of the Co-op. There was a bakery there, and the houses were over-run with cockroaches (known as blackclocks) which everyone said came from the bakery because it was always warm there!

Like a lot of places in Sheffield it was quite villagey in that everyone knew everyone else, and generations of the same families lived round about. It was quite a nice area,most people were skilled workers or tradesmen, with a few managers in the semis at the bottom of Barnsley Road and up by St. Cuthbert's (just off the picture to the left.) Along the shops towards the church there was a coffee bar, quite an avant garde place to go in the mid 50's!

Bayleaf

We lived just up Barnsley Road in the 1970s and my Mum has lived on Norwood Road for 25 years. Where was Banners shop exactly?

here's another view from the other direction.

Bayleaf

We lived just up Barnsley Road in the 1970s and my Mum has lived on Norwood Road for 25 years. Where was Banners shop exactly?

here's another view from the other direction.

It was in the row between the traffic lights and Skinnerthorpe Road, facing more or less the bottom of Herries Rd. It was quite big (or so it seemed to me as a small child!) on 2 floors, with a vacuum tube system for the cash.Looking at your picture, you're looking along the front of it. The end of the shop window projecting from the building on the left was theirs.

Here is what the street behind the shops looks like now.

Thanks Mick, I was born in the farthest of the higher houses in the first photo, and my aunties lived in the next two to the right. Looks as if it will be gone soon!

It was in the row between the traffic lights and Skinnerthorpe Road, facing more or less the bottom of Herries Rd. It was quite big (or so it seemed to me as a small child!) on 2 floors, with a vacuum tube system for the cash.Looking at your picture, you're looking along the front of it. The end of the shop window projecting from the building on the left was theirs.

Here is a link to the Francis Firth site with a setion of the Banners Shop in view

http://www.francisfrith.com/fir-vale/photo...e-c1955_f88006/

Once upon a time it didn't look too bad. Any memories?

We lived on Earl Marshall Road in the 60's, my brother and I frequented the Cannon Hall, saw Frank White play the piano with 2 hands and a foot! Had some great nights there. There was a butcher shop at Fir Vale, I can remember looking in the window and all he had on display were jars of potted meat.

Some photo's fro the 70's

We lived on Earl Marshall Road in the 60's, my brother and I frequented the Cannon Hall, saw Frank White play the piano with 2 hands and a foot! Had some great nights there. There was a butcher shop at Fir Vale, I can remember looking in the window and all he had on display were jars of potted meat.

Some photo's fro the 70's

Hi Thylacine,

Another Firvale thread

Firvale 2

Excellent photos - I take it these are yours with captions added and not commercially produced postcards! lol

Interesting I've noticed on the Godfrey map of c 1905 those Victorian Houses (on your first photo) on Earl Marshall Road stood alone quite way from any other houses. We used to go in the cannon quite a lot - sad to see it go but it was getting just a little rough! :(

Thanks for the photos Thylacine, they sparked lots of memories, particularly the Skinnerthorpe ones. Is the one of the rag & bone man also Skinnerthorpe, looking towards Bagley Rd?

Thanks for the photos Thylacine, they sparked lots of memories, particularly the Skinnerthorpe ones. Is the one of the rag & bone man also Skinnerthorpe, looking towards Bagley Rd?

Thats right Bayleaf, I followed Steptoe around that day until my film ran out. Here's another on Skinnerthorpe, you can just see the garage at the end of the road. Cheers.

Firth Park Road/Owler Lane at the junction with Barnsley Road, Firvale with the Gates of the Workhouse and Sheffield Union Hospital left, St. Cuthberts Church and looking towards Trinity Methodist Church. 

IMG_20231108_091837.thumb.jpg.67e9d7ea264e37126a4c14028ffdac30.jpg

The new Sheffield Union Workhouse opened in 1881. From 1906 it was known as Sheffield Union Hospital, later Fir Vale Hospital. When the hospital transferred to the local authority in 1930 it was renamed City General Hospital, whilst Fir Vale Institution became Fir Vale Infirmary. In 1967 the Northern General Hospital was formed by the amalgamation of City General Hospital and Fir Vale Infirmary. 

St. Cuthberts first Vicar Rev L. E. Day.

Memories of Fir Vale:

Tony's Cafe, never went in myself but remember it was the hangout of the local youth in the 1960's. 

Always raised a smile when passing on the bus, E. Sockett, the electrical shop (there for a number of years) 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s25159&pos=3&action=zoom&id=27938

A memory as a small child in the early 1950's, waiting at the Gates of the Hospital until they were opened for the long walk up the drive for visiting time. No memory of who we were visiting (probably Grandma Smith) but I wasn't allowed in the ward....Matron wouldn't have allowed it. I learnt some years later my sister some 8 years older than me wasn't allowed to go in and give her the birthday flowers she'd brought for her. 

Another memory passing in the car the same Gates and a queue of men waiting to go in the left gate and round to the left. When Dad told me they were waiting for a bed for the night he didn't call them "Tramps" .. they were "Gentlemen of the Road" If he passed one in the street he'd always nod his head and say "How do?" Don't know what he'd make of todays. 

Visited a relative on Skinnerthorpe Road but don't remember the number. 

Skinnerthorpe Road from Barnsley Road. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s26738&pos=5&action=zoom&id=29496

My dad's parents lived at 158 Skinnerthorpe Road when they first got married (1905) before moving to the new houses on Foxglove Road. 

My Gran lived at no 98 Skinnerthorpe Road where she and my Grandfather, whom I never knew, brought up 6 boys and 3 girls and lost several more in their early childhood. He was in and out of work during the 20s and 30s and life must have been difficult keeping them all fed…..often, according to Dad on bread and lard!

The children shared beds and even slept in the loft. I was always a little frightened of the very steep steps leading into the dark cellar( no electric light) and was fascinated by the large hook in the ceiling of the living room where I was told a slaughtered pig was hung.

Firvale itself was a busy place with all manner of shops, a printer, a barbers( where Dad took me once a fortnight for “ short back and sides” which was then finished with ersatz Brylcreem. )There was a doctor ( Doctor Pringle) as well as the fear of my life…Scholey the Dentist,. A boot and clog shop was at the end of Skinnerthorpe Road as was a sweet shop. At the other end was a semi derelict Cannon Hall…which became a Pub as well as the Sunbeam Cinema and the Companions Club. To the rear of the terraced houses were allotments.

The last time I ventured down Skinnerthorpe with a young cousin who never knew Gran ,I was shocked to see that most of the terraces had gone.

• Like 1

I remember the name but never went inside. It was suitably named wasn’t it?

Ponytail talks of visiting the hospital. Back in 1953 I had another Gran in the Infirmary ( former workhouse) part of the City General. The gatehouse at the bottom of the drive had to be passed without the Guard spotting a too young visitor. If caught this involved a boring wait sat on a chair ,awaiting the end of visiting ,to be collected by Mum….and then a long tram ride to end back up Prince of Wales Road where we walked along Mather Road to Littledale where Mum and Dad had just got their first house!

2 hours ago, johnm said:

A friend of mine Dave Atherton was born on Skinnerthorpe Rd & worked at Socketts electrical shop.   Anyone remember it ?

Dave died a few years ago - he & his wife lived near us in recent times.

On 08/11/2023 at 11:15, Ponytail said:

Memories of Fir Vale:

Tony's Cafe, never went in myself but remember it was the hangout of the local youth in the 1960's. 

Always raised a smile when passing on the bus, E. Sockett, the electrical shop (there for a number of years) 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s25159&pos=3&action=zoom&id=27938

great to see that pic. All this time never knew E Sockett used to be on corner of firth park road and Barnsley road. My recollection of the shop was always on firth park road, near the bus stop close to where pizza shop is now. It was a much smaller premises too. wonder when they moved from the larger premises.