Ye Olde Harrow

tozzin

Of the fifteen pubs that stood on Broad Street, Park only the Ye Olde Harrow still stands but it's in a very sorry state, gutted and just waiting for the " Coup de Grace" to end its life. If you count the Durham Ox and the Ye olde English Samson to this that's seventeen pubs that have been lost in a very short stretch of street. Does anyone know when the " Harrow" pulled its last pint?

Just for amusement, here are 17 pubs, not counting the Samson or Durham Ox.

Ball

Canal Tavern

Cock

Globe

Golden Cock

Green Man

Harrow

Industry

Lorn Nelson

New Market Hotel

Old Brewery Tap

Pheasant

Plough

Shrewsbury Arms

Tankard and Punchbowl

Travellers Rest

Vine Tavern

Though the Cock at 76, the Harrow at 80 and the Golden Cock at 82 might require further investigation ...

Added 1857 known keepers and numbers, just to mix it up a little :

Ball, number 44, J. Roebuck

Canal Tavern

Cock

Globe

Golden Cock, number 76, William Bradley

Green Man, number 23, Elizabeth Bartin

Harrow, number 74, George Potts

Industry, number 34, George Nuttall

Lorn Nelson

New Market Hotel, number 20, Thomas Kilham

Old Brewery Tap

Pheasant, number 10, G. PAttinson

Plough

Shrewsbury Arms

Tankard and Punchbowl, number 94, Charles Green

Travellers Rest, number 104, A. Sowden

Vine Tavern

Though the Cock at 76, the Harrow at 80 and the Golden Cock at 82 might require further investigation ...

Ball

Canal Tavern

Cock

Globe

Golden Cock

Green Man

Harrow

Industry

Lorn Nelson

New Market Hotel

Old Brewery Tap

Pheasant

Plough

Shrewsbury Arms

Tankard and Punchbowl

Travellers Rest

Vine Tavern

The Canal Tavern was on Blast Lane not Broad St, I can't find the Old Brewery Tap on Broad St.

The Old Brewery Tap on the corner of Broad Street and New street lane, became the Sportsman's Inn around 1876 - it was part of a bundle of leasehold properties belonging to the Midland Railway Co. which were sold in September 1876.

Couple of 1890 maps of Broad street showing some of the pubs in the list:

From the 1881 census, licensed premises on Broad street were:

no 62 Nelson Arms Mrs Frances Smith

no 80 Old Harrow Inn Henry Cusworth

no 10 Pheasant Inn John Ellis

no 17 Green Man Mary Young

no 94 Sportsman Inn Elizabeth Gledhall

no 82 Golden Cock Michael Murray

no 28 Plough Alfred Parker lic.vict. (pub not named in census, used cross ref from directory)

no 67 Old Blue Ball Thomas S Ward lic vict. (pub not named in census, used cross ref from directory, also roughly matches location of Ball Inn on 1890 map)

In September 1843 Thomas Pinder (possibly the same man who earlier ran the Barrel in Little Pond Street) was granted a licence for the Hull Tavern, Broad Street. The Hull Tavern was at the "Top of Broad Street, Sheffield park" - it was the venue in October 1846 for a sale of double harnesses, coach springs , steps etc for coach proprietors. Slaters 1846 directory gives its address as 106 Broad Street ( Thos Pinder )

His widow Elizabeth ran the Hull Tavern in Broad street until her death aged 58 in 1848

Hi Tozzin,

From your email "No 1 Ye Old English Sampson on the corner of Duke St and Broad St isn't listed under the pub name, its listed under the name George Amatt Beer Retailer, I wonder if it was given its name after 1893"

Looking at the 1891 census George Amatt was a publican at No 1 Duke street (corner with Broad street, with the urinal outside per the 1890 map). It's on the SH pubs index as Duke street. The "English Sampson tavern, in the Park" was named in September 1865 as the lodging house used by Sydney Thurlis, a gardener temporarily in Sheffield, who was robbed by a pretty lady he had met in the Sampson and engaged as his housekeeper.

In December 1847, the English Sampson, Duke Street was the venue for the theft of a ladies boa, the landlord at the time was John Hudson. Hudson was still running the place in 1852 when he contributed 2s 9d to the Rawmarsh Colliery Accident Relief Fund.

So I think it was the English Sampson Duke street/Broad street corner going back at least to 1847.

That's very interesting Edmund, but why isn't the pubs name mentioned in the 1893 Kelly's? Even in the list of court names George Amatt is listed at No 1 Duke Street as a beer retailer. I just love what we would call now petty thefts (the Boa) but then they were serious crimes. I will list the Samson by name in my next article in the Stars Retro supplement on Sheffield pubs but with the reference to Mr Amatt. I find the history of the Sheffield Pubs fantastic.

For the benefit of newer visitors to the site the A-Z was an attempt to "put some information out there" to generate interest and to provide impetus to further research/discussion. At no point was it claimed to be "complete" or "correct"; much work has gone into improving the original list. Tsavo and me discussed it and decided we would spend the rest of eternity messing around making changes here and there and basically decided to put out what imformation we had to hand at the time and hope for the best.

That's very interesting Edmund, but why isn't the pubs name mentioned in the 1893 Kelly's?

I think we sometimes forget that they had to pay for their entry in the directories, and there had to be a net benefit for them. Maybe the English Sampson had a cash flow problem, and the directory entry didn't generate a lot of business, especially if they were not providing lodgings, maybe relying on beer customers from the locality?

Does anyone know when the " Harrow" pulled its last pint?

The information below comes from www.paranormaldatabase.com. It seems to show it was still operating in February 2001, but I'm not relying on its accuracy....

Dark Figure

Type: Haunting Manifestation

Date / Time: December 1994 - February 2001, and late 1970s

Further Comments: A former tenant reported several strange experiences during their time in this pub, including encountering a dark figure, doors which closed themselves and items which disappeared and reappeared up to a month later. A former occupier of the site remembered the shadow and closing doors from the 1970s.

From the Licensing Committe meeting 30th January 2006:

The Assistant Chief Executive, Legal and Governance, submitted a report on an application made under the provisions of Section 17 of the Licensing Act 2003 for a premises licence in respect of Ye Olde Harrow, 78/80 Broad Street, Sheffield S2 5TG. The Licensing Solicitor reported that all the outstanding issues in relation to the application had been satisfactorily resolved prior to the meeting.

The information below comes from www.paranormaldatabase.com. It seems to show it was still operating in February 2001, but I'm not relying on its accuracy....

Dark Figure

Location: Sheffield - Ye Olde Harrow public houseType: Haunting ManifestationDate / Time: December 1994 - February 2001, and late 1970sFurther Comments: A former tenant reported several strange experiences during their time in this pub, including encountering a dark figure, doors which closed themselves and items which disappeared and reappeared up to a month later. A former occupier of the site remembered the shadow and closing doors from the 1970s.

From the Licensing Committe meeting 30th January 2006:

The Assistant Chief Executive, Legal and Governance, submitted a report on an application made under the provisions of Section 17 of the Licensing Act 2003 for a premises licence in respect of Ye Olde Harrow, 78/80 Broad Street, Sheffield S2 5TG. The Licensing Solicitor reported that all the outstanding issues in relation to the application had been satisfactorily resolved prior to the meeting.

I don't know many pubs that didn't have its fair share of spirits

From the 1854 Post Office Directory – Broad Street:

10 Pheasant Robert Ragge

20 Newmarket Hotel Thomas Kilham

28 Plough Elias Lowe

34 Industry George Smith

74 Old Harrow James Potts

76 Cock Joseph Hudson

94 Tankard and Punch Bowl Frederick Fenton

96 Travellers Rest William Bacon

23 Green Man George Bartin

unnumbered possibly 67 Blue Ball Mary Skelton