Travellers Rest(S)

RichardB

The Travellers Rest at Deep Pits, Intake Road/City Road are one and the same place.

Received this (editied) email and updated the record.

Leaves us with a question over Henry Hepplestone who took over after John Woodhouse passed away in 1898.

Also, was there an "Alfred Murfin in 1901 onwards before Arthur Murfin, known in 1905 ?

Seems to be Deep Pits in 1861, Intake Road in 1871 and Deep Pits again 1881-1891, which is nice...

Email :

" I was contacted many years ago by a Mirfin descendent and he said he (Alfred?) had taken over the Traveller Rest from Henry Hepplestone grandson of John Woodhouse early in 1901. John had died in in 1898 and along with other family members is buried in City Road Cemetery.

He did at that time send me a copy of the first License for the Pub in the name of(Alfred) Mirfin ( I think it was Alfred) had obtained. I have looked all over for it and can not now find it among my Woodhouse papers.

Back now to the Woodhouse information that I know to be correct (By the way there is NO Jonathon Woodhouse as you have now)

As I mentioned where the error is at the moment you have three Travellers Rest when it is all one and the same.
16 Deep Pits/Intake Rd/City Rd.

My first information was when I first started and found the following information in a Directory that I did not take note of its name. The Local Studies Library was where I found it.

1853 Directory William Woodhouse Deep Pits Beerhouse Keeper.
William is John's father and both living in Fulwood on the 1851 census.
1861 census John Woodhouse Travellers Rest Deep Pits Beerhouse Keeper.
1871 census John Woodhouse Travellers Rest Intake Rd Filesmith/Publican
1881 census John Woodhouse Travellers Rest 16 Deep Pits Publican
1891 census John Woodhouse Travellers Rest 16 Deep Pits Publican

1887 Sheffield Whites Directory.
John Woodhouse Beer Retailer Intake Road.
Travellers Rest Intake Road.

I was told that John bought other houses and the ones that faced Intake/City Road became the pub and 16 Deep pits remained the living quarters.
The pub had many different rooms or so the staff told me in 2000 and had been modernized to one large room as that was what I saw.

When John died in 1898 both his sons having already passed away his daughters son Henry Hepplestone took over but by the 1901 census Henry had moved on. Thats what the information on the License stated and I will call him Alfred Mirfin then took over.
1901 census RG13.4372.
388 City Road...... (Eccles Par. Christ Church. Heeley)
Henry Hepplestone. M. aged 30 Carter for Birley Pit. (Above ground) born Sheffield."

Any further thoughts/updates please ?

From Sheffield Daily Telegraph 21st June 1898:

SALE This Day Re John Woodhouse Deceased

Lot 1 Freehold at Walkley - 4 stone built dwelling houses 62 Highton Street, 1, 2, 3, Court 2 Highton Street

Lot 2 Freehold at Gleadless (farm)

Lot 3 Leasehold - Travellers Rest 667 Intake Road, in occupation of Mr Henry Hepplestone, also house 585 Intake Road and fifteen houses and outbuildings 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 Court 11 Intake Road

Lot 4 Leasehold Manor Lane eight houses 49,50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 Manor Lane

From Sheffield Daily Telegraph 24th June 1898:

The will of Mr John Woodhouse, Deep Pits, Sheffield, who died on March 6 last , is proved by the surviving executor Mr Henry Hepplestone, Intake Road, Sheffield, by whom the testator's estate is sworn at £3,295 14s of which £2,067 16s 7d is net personalty

Henry Hepplestone was John Woodhouse's son, and was living at the Traveller's Rest at the 1891census.

Arthur Murfin and his wife Agnes were at the Travellers Rest at the 1901 census (with son Frank). They were still there in 1911, with the addition of Beatrice Alice Kay (his step daughter).

From the Sheffield Evening Telegraph 30th March 1912:

(a correction regarding Arbourthorne Outcrop Coal Workings):

"Mr Arthur Murfin of the Travellers Rest, Deep Pits, and the miners in the district, must be credited with the successful arrangements with the Duke of Norfolk's agent to work the seam of coal prior to its being closed.

Arthur Murfin died in 1943, his wife died at the Travellers Rest in 1941

Well, that puts my next finding right in the shade !

1901 Trade Directory, Arthur Mirfin, 946 City Road, grocer. Presumably the entry for the Trade Directory is allowed to be "out" by a few months between research and publication. So that puts Hepplestone at the premises from March 1898 until just before Census night in 1901 (or thereabouts).

Prefer the idea that Hepplestone was the husband of John Woodhouse's daughter - otherwise wouldn't he be called Woodhouse ... ?

Brilliant work, as ever, Edmund.

Have a kiss. X

Prefer the idea that Hepplestone was the husband of John Woodhouse's daughter - otherwise wouldn't he be called Woodhouse ... ?

Correct, as per your original post! William Hepplestone (coalminer of Deep Pits) married John Woodhouse's daughter Annie, and their son Henry was 7 weeks old at the 1871 census. The 1891 census wrongly stated Henry as being John Woodhouse's son - should be Grandson.

Gilmours began trading in Sheffield as wholesalers dealing in beer, wine and spirits in the mid 1840s. They had no brewing facilities of their own until 1900 but began buying retail outlets aound 1890, both pubs and off-licence premises. By 1899 they owned the following public houses in Sheffield.

Albany Hotel, Gloucester Street
Anvil Hotel, South Street (Moor)
Eagle Hotel, Eldon Street
Falcon, Flat Street
King's Head, Canning Street
Lion Hotel, Nursery Street/Wicker
Mansfield Arms, Division Street
New Market Hotel, Broad Street
Oxford Hotel, Clarence Street
Pheasant Inn, Broad Street
Royal Hotel, Eyre Lane
Travellers' Rest, City Road