Help Needed ! Can You Help With This One ?

Sheffield History

The New Barrack Tavern in Hillsborough just found this during a big renovation of the building

Does anyone know what it is or any information about it ?

The National Voluntary Civil Aid was a short lived group set up to get organised and trained volunteers for disasters after the onslaught of the IRA pub bombing campaign of the early 1970`s. From ebay - regalia and leaflet for sale:

From HANSARD Written Answers (Commons) 19 January 1972

Mr. Lomas asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will make a grant to the National Voluntary Civil Aid Service.

Mr. Sharples “No.”

From Hansard 25 May 1972:

Mr Gilbert Longden (South West Hertfordshire) asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what is the present strength of the National Voluntary Civil Aid Service and how the training of the civil aid units is progressing; and if he will make a statement.

Mr David Lane (Cambridge) I understand that the service has some 15,000 members, about one-third of whom are organised and trained in 249 operational civil aid units.

Mr Gilbert Longden (South West Hertfordshire) I thank my hon. Friend for that answer, which shows that it has not grown much in the last few months. Will my hon. Friend take every possible opportunity of expressing the full support of the Government for these voluntary services, and will he encourage local authorities to support them?

Mr David Lane (Cambridge) Yes, certainly. I hope that local authorities will make maximum use of local help from these voluntary societies. I hope to discuss this question further with county civil defence officers during the next few weeks.