Fats Confusion

RichardB

1ALS with original envelope to his good friend, Walter Heulin, in Sussex, England on the Midland Hotel in Manchester letterhead telling him of his visit included is the original envelope with a Sheffield postmark. "Fats" writes: "Lots of luck & cheerio, until i ses [sic] you, your'e buddy Fats" The letter has warm personal content as Fats writes: "Dear Sonny [Walter Huelin] the love bug will get you if you don't watch out. (ha-ha). Received your letter and just wanted you to know I'll be down Sunday June 11th or Monday, June 12th [1939] Give my regards to Miss Adcock and yourself (Take Care Now)." Thomas "Fats" Waller was an outstanding exponent of the Harlem 'stride' style of jazz piano and a major influence on Art Tatum. In the black film "Stormy Weather" he starred with Lena Horne and Cab Calloway. He came to Britain in 1938 and 1939 making many 78 discs including his exquisite London Suite for solo piano and some hard-swinging band numbers with his 'Continental Rhythm' along with some delicate duets with singer Adelaide Hall. Among his closest friends were Walter Heulin, Florence and Miss Adcock. All we know of them is that were in their late 30's and well known to jazzmen. Fats had to cut short his visit as war clouds loomed and he was back in New York on June 20, 1939. Though he died four years later, his contributions in the history of the jazz are among the greatest of the early 20th Century. Signed letters by him are very uncommon. Written in green ink the letter is in pristine condition and the envelope very good with some light soiling on cover.

The letter is dated 30th May 1939, Manchester but the postmark reads 26th May, Sheffield .... ??

Abebooks

£877.