Friends Of Old Town Hall

duckweed

We are at the moment putting things together eg. constitution and working out what our aims are at the moment as well as meeting with a lot of different groups and official bodies so not yet in the position to do an interview. Probably by the end of the month we will be able to. There is to be a National launch which is listing the OTH as 1 of 10 buildings in the UK requiring action. More about that soon.

The Wakefield Courthouse that Charles Watson built is now a grade 2* listed building and yet is more changed externally than Sheffield's Old Town Hall. Charles Watson was the top architect in Yorkshire of his day. Together with Pritchett they formed an Architectural monopoly from Hull to Huddersfield. Sheffield's Old Town Hall is more important historically than Wakefield in that the Royal Commission of 1867 took place there which changed the face of Trade Unionism. Then there are Chartists and various revolutionaries and Charles Peace to name but a few.

I seem to remember hearing, some time ago, that something was afoot regarding the Court House and its London based owners. I wonder, has anyone else heard of any similar talk?

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The "afoot" I referred to, was rather less from London and rather more from some of the people working in a large Victorian building on Surrey Street in Sheffield. :)

There are murmurings in that direction but there has been before, so not holding my breath.

The point of a Friends Group is to help and also apply pressure. Open minded as to how Conservation and restoration is achieved though obviously we have our favoured outcome. It is a big building and will need a lot of work to get even safe and secure.

We are getting a lot of support from all sides. So many meetings we have not had time to sit down and present all we have. Launch will be in a few weeks when we have a suitable venue.

That is what we are working on at present looking at various ideas for future use and getting expert advice on this. We already have a great nucleus of skilled people involved so we think we will be able to come up with some feasible plans. I don't know how receptive the owners will be, but at present they are losing revenue as the building deteriorates and loses value, and are possibly liable to prosecution, so it would be in their interests to talk to us. Our main aim at the moment is to raise the profile of the Old Town Hall so it cannot simply be ignored any more.

Not exactly. You can still be prosecuted for neglect. In places like London where property prices are high the fines are probably not big enough to worry anyone. The owners are from London and I suspect they may have an unrealistic idea of its value when in fact in this case a restored listed building is worth a lot more than a building site. Even though Castlegate is an excellent site from the point of view of communications there is not a rush of developers to the site. Ironically it is the condition of the OTH which is keeping the value of the whole area down. The Council does want this building back in use and there are a number of steps they can take. What we can do is spread the word and keep reporting when the building is insecure. The Old Town Hall is now being nationally publicized by an organisation called CADO as in their top 10 of buildings that are deemed Community Assets in Difficult Ownership. Their aim is to push for the building to be repaired either by the owners or moved to someone who will. It is a pilot project for them but picked because it is such a high profile building. There are more Youtube films, more photos of its interior than probably any other derelict building.

http://locality.org.uk/our-work/campaigns/cado/ This is link to CADO which is supporting Friends of the Old Town Hall. We have been in talks with the Council too and are working with them. The best we can do at present is publicize the plight of the OTH and accordingly we are doing a press launch on January 10th, hopefully with some photo opportunities with re-enacters. Anyone who wants to come along in costume of any time period from Georgian to 1980s please get in touch. You can also signify your support now by liking us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/OTHSheffield or signing up to the blog https://friendsofothsheffield.wordpress.com/ We will be having an event in March for people to come and find up what we have been up to and come and join Friends. Date and Venue to be established.