Sad And Sorry Sight

THYLACINE

A full grown male Wombat, 900 mm long weighing 21 kgs, found on the road, hit by a car or truck. Common in Tasmania, fully protected but not frequently seen. Really stuffed up my day when I came across this road kill last night. A beautiful animal, a shameful waste of life.

It may be common in Tasmania Thylacine, but I don't think I have ever seen a real Wombat before, dead or alive, not even in a zoo or as a preserved specimen. As you say this is a sad loss of life, - and if they are protected in Tasmania it makes you wonder how "common" they really are, - or if they are in fact quite rare or even endangered.

Thankfully Tasmania is well endowed with National Parks - about 13 I think, on an island the size of Ireland and wildlife thrives there. It's quite easy, if you go at the right time of day, to see wombats in the wild. But the survival of any species can quickly become threatened as we found with the Tasmanian Devil. We thought they were doing well until a unique cancer called facial tumour disease decimated the population. About 2/3 of the island's devils have been lost and emergency breeding programs have been set up to try to save them.

The only Wombat I have ever come across was the 120m/m anti-tank recoil less weapon of the same name.

The only Wombat I ever came across was WILLIE WOMBAT who used to appear on an imported Australian 1960s children's TV series called TINGHA and TUCKER (they were Koalas) with Auntie Jean (Jean Morton).

The only Wombat I ever came across was WILLIE WOMBAT who used to appear on an imported Australian 1960s children's TV series called TINGHA and TUCKER (they were Koalas) with Auntie Jean (Jean Morton).

Good grief they must have been short of content then . . .

Must admit I'd never heard of Aunty Jean

But did we send you Aunty Jack . . . ??

Good grief they must have been short of content then . . .

Must admit I'd never heard of Aunty Jean

But did we send you Aunty Jack . . . ??

No, never come across aunty Jack, or even uncle Jack.

Of course you did send us Barry Humphries in all his multitude of characters.