Cheap John From Sheffield

RichardB

'Here I am, the original cheap John from Sheffield. I've not come here to get money; not I; I've come here merely for the good of the public,
and to let you see how you've been imposed upon by a parcel of pompous shopkeepers, who are not content with less than 100 per
cent, for rubbish. They got up a petition — which I haven't time to read to you just now — offering me a large sum of money to keep
away from here. But no, I had too much friendship for you to consent, and here I am, cheap John, born without a shirt, one day
while my mother was out, in a haystack; consequently I've no parish, for the cows eat up mine, and therefore I've never no fear
of going to the workhouse.'

Mayhew's London (first published 1851)

'Here I am, the original cheap John from Sheffield. I've not come here to get money; not I; I've come here merely for the good of the public,

and to let you see how you've been imposed upon by a parcel of pompous shopkeepers, who are not content with less than 100 per

cent, for rubbish. They got up a petition — which I haven't time to read to you just now — offering me a large sum of money to keep

away from here. But no, I had too much friendship for you to consent, and here I am, cheap John, born without a shirt, one day

while my mother was out, in a haystack; consequently I've no parish, for the cows eat up mine, and therefore I've never no fear

of going to the workhouse.'

Mayhew's London (first published 1851)

You know Richard, if I hadn't seen your name attached to this post I would have been convinced we were being spammed by some cheap tat wideboy dodgy salesman.

Is he related to Cheap Jack? Or is it the same bloke?

At the supermarket "bargain shelf" where they self off either short shelf life "best before" or slightly damaged products my wife and I always refer to this as the "Cheap Jack Stall"