Furnace Edge

Lizziejampot

Currently researching the Poole brothers, William and James, artists. 1834 Pigot's Directory places them in Sheffield, as Drawing teachers at Furnace Edge. Anyone know where Furnace Edge is/was?

The article on them in "Hallamshire Worthies" doesn't take much note of where they were living, and I can't find any references to Furnace End, but in 1841 they were both living at Nether Edge, one household away from Edge End.

Presumably James didn't travel far to paint Machon Bank:

And a couple of pictures by William:

Thanks Edmund

Yes, the Hallamshire Worthies articles about the Pooles are very helpful and in fact I am very grateful to this site for making that book so readily available - made life a lot easier! And I love that painting of William - that hairstyle is so modern.

I've been to establish whether or not their residence in 1841 was in fact the old Nether Edge farmhouse (later the Brincliffe Oaks Hotel of course). The UK Poll Books and Electoral Registers show James Poole as resident at Lower Edge in 1835 and I have a copy of an old map that shows the farm itself labelled as Lower Edge. There is other circumstantial evidence as well, but I won't detail it all right now - I need to get it better organised. Work in progress.

But in the meantime, I'm intrigued by Furnace Edge - I mean it sounds really Sheffield and I suppose it could be a reference to Furnace Hill. But I don't know and I wondered if any one here had come across it before.