Turnpike Posts At Bradwell?

miked

I've driven, and in the past walked, past these posts hundreds of times and never noticed them before. My wife's brother lives about a hundred yards away.

Turnpike maps show that the nearest one was the Sheffield to Chapel en le Frith Turnpike which passes a few miles to the north at Brough.

All the old maps I have show nothing at the point where the posts are except fields until the twentieth century.

They certainly look identical to the ones located at Mytholm Bridge, Bamford 'so I suppose that they were liberated from a redundant toll gate perhaps at Brough Lane Head. The 1898 map shows a gate post located there. It must have taken a good team of horses to shift each one.

I've asked my brother-in-law to ask in the village if anyone knows any information.

HD

Interesting book especially the Roman Fort. I dont think we know much more now.

Sam is listed in the Rivelin valley in 1841

Been looking at lead mining in the Ewden Valley, some Bradwell men worked there.

The 1898 map shows the buildings running to the right of the gate stoops as the Bridge Inn, As this building ran almost right up to beck, it would seem that the gates were the entrance to the pub yard which would have been to the left.

There was another pub a bit further north along the road called the Newburgh Arms.

HD

============================================

Edit

Here's a photo of The Bridge Inn (later Bridge House) possibly just showing the suggestion of a gatepost at the far end. The Inn was open until 1916, note the ornate doorway. BUT see photo ref P4.8 also stated to be the Bridge Inn, but a different building. Confused?

This information comes from the Bradwell Conservation Area appraisal report which is a nice piece of work (links below). See section 5 for the Bridge House/Inn photos.

Bradwell Conservation Area Sect 0-2

Bradwell Conservation Area Section 3

Bradwell Conservation Area Sections 4-6

Bradwell Conservation Area Section 7

Bradwell Conservation Area Sections 8-15

My twopenneth is that fig 4.2 is not the Bridge Inn at all but is the Bull's Head pub.

The notice board certainly seems to state something like the "Bradwell Bull" and I cannot find any maps that show a further building joined on to the Bridge Inn. Apart from the strange horizontal lines on the external render having now gone, and a possible additional window on the gable, the present "Bridge House" looks exactly like Edmunds photo. By the way I think the brackets attached to the chimney are for a pair of telephone lines not TV aerials, The telephone pole in the distance seems to date from well before UHF TV.

The Bulls Head, now a hairdressers shop, has a further building in just the right position. I have been known (at very regular intervals) to visit the White Hart just above.

The Google Streetview scene certainly looks like a more likely candidate and as the photo fig 4.2 seems to be a postcard, perhaps they got it wrong ?

What do you think ?

HD

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.326937,-1.741245,3a,37.5y,330.12h,91.24t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjVu73ZEqRG8glbV5Q1e-WQ!2e0?hl=en

HD, In a way its academic re. the gate posts but its always interesting to solve problems.

Have you ever seen any of the Roman masonry in the walls next to the road? I read several references but don't ask me where.

I don't think it's the hairdressers. The line of that block of buildings looks all wrong to me.

Now that I've finally read all the Peak Park Authority Appraisal Report, I have to agree with you.

But at least our theory about the big gateposts tallies with their findings, photo 6.13 and text 6.28 backs it up.

There's a photo of the Bulls Head at P4.6 and it looks very similar to the modern building.

It's the vast changes between the present Bridge House and the original Bridge Inn postcard, photo 4.8, that I find a little confusing.

I wouldn't think there can be many years between photo 4.8 and photo 5.13 (top) and yet the building seems to have changed beyond recognition. I guess the entire frontage must have been rebuilt.

HD

Just to add to this post I've just noticed that half the Bridge Inn Building is now up for sale. If you would like to own a set of ex turnpike gate posts, (with a two bedroomed cottage, some outbuildings and a paddock thrown in for good measure), then now's your chance. :)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42433510.html?premiumA=true

HD

Its a pity the sale description didnt answer our puzzle

The posts look out of place. I wonder if they were made for a turnpike but became defunct before purchase? hence where then utilised where ever.