Sheffielder "lost At Sea?"

philkai

My Great Uncle, (James)Herbert Skelton was born in 1858 in Hansworth the eldest son of a farmer and publican James Skelton who I have mentioned on previous posts,

At the tender age of 14 facing a future in the fields or the mines he left his home in inland Yorkshire for a life on the ocean waves, taking the train to Liverpool before getting his first job on a ship bound for America

My Father in the early 1930’s, against his families wishes, would repeat his uncle’s journey, tempted I would think by the stories told to him as a child.

We have unearthed a number of letters sent home by Herbert to his family including the one attached which describes the poor inexperienced young lads problems on his return to England on xmas eve 1874.

We know Herbert stayed at sea for many years, He was at one time on the “Barque Sunlight” that was torpedoed in 1915 but he was not part of the crew nor is he mentioned on any “Port Sunlight” memorials.

And that is the problem much as I have been fascinated by his adventures described in his letters, he disappears from all records, there was a suggestion he was “lost at sea” but I can find no record of that, nor any marriage or death. I was hoping someone on here would be able to suggest where to look next.

It would be nice to think he settled on some far off shore, His brother emigrated to Onterio, Canada in 1912 one of Herbert’s regular ports of call but I can find no record of him there either.

I would like to put an end to Herbert’s story any help or advice would be appreciated

Herbert letter front BW.bmp

Herbert letter (A) page2&3 BW.bmp

Herbert letter (A) back page BW.bmp

Hi

Not many of the letters actualy contain the year included with the date those that do are the early ones so did a bit of detective work

One letter is signed "Uncle" The obvious says it sent to one of his younger brothers children.

It is a reply to a letter he recieved on his arrival at Baltamore USA so his nephews I am guessing must have been older than infants ,which would date it much later than his letters from his early voyages.

The letter was sent from "Barque Sunlight" which according to records was built in 1907.

The letter is dated 13 sept and he writes that "we are loading today and we shall be ready for sea on Sunday"

This is a complete guess but I would think that would make it the latter part of the week, 1911 Weds, 1912 Thurs 1913 Friday.

The ship was bound for Newcastle, He was leaving it there and going to Liverpool to take another ship. All the other letters we have are from the Americas/west Indies

Thanks

Sadly we confirmed the end of this story.

We found a letter to Herbert's mother from a Mrs Browne of Liverpool, In it she explains how Herbert and her son had become companions.

They were on "The Barque Sunlight" but another version of the ship I mentioned above, It left Baltimore bound for Newcastle on sept 16th 1878 and was posted as missing.

I have confirmation from the maritime museum in Norway, where the ship was registered, that it was lost with all hands during its trip back to Newcastle, poor Uncle Herbert would have been just 20 years old