This Son Of Vulcan C 1885

RichardB

eBay

Chatto & Windus undated single volume "new edition" of 1876 original. Published 1885 or earlier, though this has an 1891 publisher's catalogue bound in at the back.

Set in "Esbrough", which I take for Sheffield. Particularly interesting, to my mind, for the characters of Keziah Bastable and Captain Perrymont, practitioners of magic, astrology and alchemy, and based, according to the authors' intro, on real people. Only one element of the narrative, but interesting evidence for occult practices in the mid 19th century. Besant's interest would have come from his involvement in freemasonry.
It says ...

eBay

Chatto & Windus undated single volume "new edition" of 1876 original. Published 1885 or earlier, though this has an 1891 publisher's catalogue bound in at the back.

Set in "Esbrough", which I take for Sheffield. Particularly interesting, to my mind, for the characters of Keziah Bastable and Captain Perrymont, practitioners of magic, astrology and alchemy, and based, according to the authors' intro, on real people. Only one element of the narrative, but interesting evidence for occult practices in the mid 19th century. Besant's interest would have come from his involvement in freemasonry.

It says ...

Hi Richard

Looking at any reference to Captain Perrymont in old newspapers I came upon this article with Mr Frank Perrymont son of old Captain Perrymont mentioned and also in the articleit is mentioned that there is no Cathedral at Esbrough just two or three church's so I think we should count Sheffield out as a location ?.

Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Saturday, April 1, 1876

Hi Syrup

I have perused a chunk of Volume 2 of the book. I shall be counting it out of my life entirely. Twas someone else claiming the Sheffield-connection and if it is not the case then it provided a momentary distraction and we are none the poorer for not having to read this hogwash.

Ta.

Hi Richard
Looking at any reference to Captain Perrymont in old newspapers I came upon this article with Mr Frank Perrymont son of old Captain Perrymont mentioned and also in the articleit is mentioned that there is no Cathedral at Esbrough just two or three church's so I think we should count Sheffield out as a location ?.

Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Saturday, April 1, 1876