Bill Twigg

Bayleaf

I'm trying to find any surviving relatives of Bill Twigg. Bill served in WW2 with the Hallamshires, and was killed in action in Normandy, 16th July 1944. His next of kin was his wife, A.Twigg, of 127, Carwell Rd, Woodseats.

Any help would be much appreciated.thanks

Not sure if you have this information or not:

on the CWGC site I found A William John Twigg Pte 4748767 in York & Lancs Reg who died 16/7/1944.

Also found a marriage of William John Twigg to Audrey Wiloughby 1942 Sheffield but didn't find any children to this marriage.

William John was 25 when he died so was born 1919. Found a birth in Sheffield with mother's maiden name Walker. Using this information I found these other children:

Nora born 1917, Alice E and William John born 1919, Arthur P born 1927.

Found a marriage of John Twigg to Ada A Walker 1911 Sheffield.

Certificates would be needed to prove whether they are the correct family.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny. We know Bill was with the Hallamshires in Iceland where they were stationed from 1940 to 1942, so presumably Bill married Audrey when they returned to the UK. From1942 to D-day they were in the north of Scotland, so again, Bill would have been away from home. It's no surprise then that you didn't find any trace of children. As to whether the others you found are the right family I've no idea.

The reason I posed the question in the first place was because when my ma-in-law died we inherited the family photos, and among them were two of groups of soldiers, simply labelled "From Bill Twigg in Iceland." We can only assume he was a friend of my father-in-law, but there's no-one left to ask. We just thought if Bill had any family they might like to have the photos.