Chapman And Davidson

Guest HRHartley

Guest HRHartley

Hi, me again.

This is for names from my maternal side. The side I need to work on more.

The Davidsons were from Chesterfield. My Grandad was Ernest. His dad was Arthur, married to a Helen.

Chapman is my nans maiden name. Names of closest line inc my nan...Lucy, May, Lily, Charlie, Len, Jean and Sylvia. Parents were Leonard Chapman and Lilian Grayson.

Can you help??

Thanks

Helen

I think these will be the birth of your grandfather and the marriage of his parents:

GRO Births SEP Qtr 1923

Davidson Ernest (mmn Radford)

Sheffield 9c 912

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1915

Davidson Arthur F (Radford)

Radford Ellen (Davidson)

Ecclesall B. 9c 952

Hugh

(possible) siblings

GRO Births JUN Qtr 1916

Davidson Winifred (mmn Radford)

Chesterfield 7b 1398

GRO Births MAR Qtr 1918

Davidson Edna (mmn Radford)

Sheffield 9c 944

GRO Births SEP Qtr 1919

Davidson Ellen (mmn Radford)

Sheffield 9c 920

Hugh

Guest HRHartley

Oh and Aurther F Davidson Married twice, had 2 kids with first wife (no name known) and had Jessica and Cyril.

Married Helen/Ellen and had Winnie, Ernest and Nellie.

Guest HRHartley

Arthurs dad was called john born c 1822 married to a sarah with a shed load of other kids. But I cannot on Genes reunited find a record for a marriage of sarah and john even if I miss out chesterfield!

Coming back to this I see that the information you add gives the link with the first family which I had found but wasn't sure I could prove. I found the war service record for Arthur Frederick DAVIDSON on FMP (but not on Ancestry). This page gives the details of marriage and children. Harriet had died before Arthur joined up - he is described as a widower on the attestation form:

Guest HRHartley

Hmm wonder why and when Harriet died? Must look. Obv wouldn't be surprised if it was childbirth.

Guest HRHartley

This is getting Interesting. Harriet died in 1914 (2nd Quarter) so just before Arthur signs up, leaving Jessie 4, and Arthur Cyril 2. Remarries in 1915.....i am guessing for the young kids left behind. Need to hunt out a death cert and see how harriet died!

Arthurs dad was called john born c 1822 married to a sarah with a shed load of other kids. But I cannot on Genes reunited find a record for a marriage of sarah and john even if I miss out chesterfield!

I think you have missed out a generation here. Arthur appears to be the son of William and Ellen (nee DEWSNAP I think). William was born c1848 in Brimington (1891 census) or Derby (1881 census). I cannot identify him before 1881. Ellen was ten years younger than him so I wonder if he had been married before.

From the GRO marriage index:

GRO Marriages SEP Qtr 1878

DAVIDSON William

Dewsnap Ellen

Chesterfield 7b 834

Guest HRHartley

its an odd one as th census I have looked at for Arthur show john but they Arthur is one of the youngest of many....apparently john started breeding in 1850s. This side is the most confusing to me.

I finally found the census entry you are describing, but I don't think it is the right Arthur.

The census and military record, as well as the GRO index, show that your Arthur Frederick was born in 1881. The Arthur, son of John and Sarah, is in the 1871 census and was born in 1870.

1871 census ref: piece 3612 folio 115 page 8

Guest HRHartley

Aww thanks for that info...I was always confused with that one, hence that part was forgot about for a few yrs. I will look further into this one!

Guest HRHartley

Ooooof found Williams year of birth...seems to be a few ellen dewsnap's though from Sheffield. Hmmm need to see the census or marriage cert I think

Guest HRHartley

Well narrowed the ellens down to 2 after finding her birthyear to be 1858/1857. There are 2 both in Sheffield. One born in quarter 2 and one in quarter 4. Must have been a popular name. She was a widow by 1901. Arthur F was still at home with her aged 19.

Guest HRHartley

Right I have this generation sorted now Im struggling with the previous one lol....these Davidsons have something to answer for lol