Truant's School, Hollow Meadows

ukelele lady

Does anyone know where the Truant's School was in Hollow Meadows in the 1800s

or have any other details of the place?

"Hollow Meadows Hospital was originally a 'Workhouse Farm' administered by the Sheffield Union Board of Guardians for the employment of paupers. In 1879 it became an 'industrial' or reform School for children who were persistent truants. Further info neede on when the site became a hospital."

Sheffield Hospitals.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/6785-sheffield-hospitals/#entry44569

picturesheffield.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s23660&pos=10&action=zoom&id=26114

The mother of a workmate of mine worked at Hollow Meadows Institution in the seventies.

I understand that the patients then, were men with mental health problems associated with severe behavioural issues. She was big enough and loud enough to deal with any problems.

During the day they worked on the fields and they also worked in workshops making things out of concrete if I remember correctly.

It must have closed in the late seventies because in 1980 I had the "pleasure" of sharing a room at Claremont Hospital with a well known Sheffield Businessman.

He and his sons were trying to get associates to put money in to convert it to some sort of posh hotel.

From breakfastime to nights out, that's all I heard about, that and his horribly tinny Russian miniature TV set.

I understand that it eventually was bought and converted into apartments.

HD

Hollow Meadows

Seems to have been the “Wild West” of Sheffield in the early 1800’s. Cow stealing, fighting, rape, culminating in 1846 with the attempted murder of the inn-keeper, Thomas Greaves, at the Surrey Arms. Greaves died shortly afterwards (20th September 1846) of unrelated causes, though the ball was never removed from his face.

In 1848, the Sheffield Guardians leased from the Duke of Norfolk about fifty acres of moorland, at Hollow Meadows, about six miles from the town, with a view to reclaiming it by pauper labour. An ancillary workhouse was established on the site. Nearly the whole of the land was brought under cultivation and sub-let to farm tenants. "The Farm", as it was called, was retained by the Guardians and, in times of bad trade, able-bodied men in need of poor relief were sent to labour at it.

The first stone of the farm buildings, on a piece of land for the employment of the able-poor, at Hollow Meadows was laid on 10th July 1848 by Wilson Overend Esq. The practice of employing the able-poor at grinding wheels had led to a case of bullying and assaults and the Board of Guardians confirmed that they had made arrangements for 110 men to be placed on the farm as soon as the frost abated. In January the labourers at the farm had a letter of complaint about their conditions published in the newspaper.

In 1850 there were disputes about the economy of running the farm. Mr John Watkinson (Clerk to the Sheffield Union) appeared to some to be running it without reference to the Board and ignoring rules, especially in relation to obtaining supplies and selling produce. Feb 1854 Meeting at Town Hall regarding the conduct of Mr Watkinson the Clerk – numerous complaints made.

July 1851 the use of the farm as a burial ground for paupers to save expense was proposed. There was concern that the original purpose of reclaiming land had been replaced by amateur farming.

In 1879, the workhouse site became an "Industrial School" where persistent school truants were detained. 1880 the School Board acquired Surrey Farm from Mr Johnson at a cost of £631 to accommodate a further 18 boys. The premises would need a farm bailiff and wife, and a gardener.

16 Aug 1884 Guardians decline to convert Hollow Meadows into an Industrial School and by Nov 1884 the reclaimed land had been leased to Mrs Greaves of the Surrey Arms. Its equipment was to be sold. The paupers were to go back to reclaiming land and not farming.

The buildings were enlarged in 1887 and could accommodate around 90 children. The site later became Hollow Meadows Hospital which was closed by 1981. The site was then sold for redevelopment and the buildings have now been converted to housing

Thanks for the information, would this be the very same building that housed the truant's in 1888?

It doesn't seem to look that old but I suppose it must have been modernised at some time or other.