Street Signs

tozzin

I was walking on Abbeydale Rd this morning and I saw this remnant of a more leisurely time, the pointing hands look great, indicating that Chippinghouse Rd continues on the other side of Abbeydale Rd. You don't see helpful signs like this anymore.

Nice isn't it ? Well spotted tozzin.

Edit: which leads one to wonder if it is/was the only one, or are there more to find.

I pass this sign every day too - never seen another like it, not even on the other side of Abbeydale Rd!

Nice isn't it ? Well spotted tozzin.

Edit: which leads one to wonder if it is/was the only one, or are there more to find.

I'm pretty sure I 've seem a similar one elsewhere but I can't think where. I'll keep my eyes open!

Peter Harvey uses a photo of the one above in his book, but there's also one of a sign in the same style for Spital Street. According to his list, East Spital Street became part of Spital Street in 1890. Given the two hands, perhaps this one dates from that change?

Superb example of one of these on Graham Road off Hangingwater Road. It is at eye level and some effort has gone in to it's making! I have a pic but can't upload at the moment - Street View will reveal a great piece of street furniture in all it's glory :)

The Chippinghouse Rd sign has 'disappeared' after a recent conversion. The Graham Rd sign survives as does one on Spital St (crossing Spital Hill).

I rember that sign well, has it been stolen or is it the council who are responsible for it's removal, these old signs should be looked after. I did notice that in Cumberland Street new signs have been placed just over six foot above the pavement, just within reach of the  grafitti fraternity, you couldn't make it up.

If the sign for Chippinghouse Rd has been removed illegally, the council and the police should be involved. As for the old street lights loads of them were delivered to farm just outside Sheffield to be sold on, not by Amey but by their employees, when the Wicker was being improved ? the work took far longer than planned for because the workers were removing the old tramlines to be sold as scrap. The little lane at the rear of the Rutland pub hundreds of cobbles were removed and sold on instead of replacing them.