Peels Boundary

Calvin72

Outside 131-143 Abbeydale Road there are three metal markers in the pavement with 'Peels Boundary' on them. Who or what was Peel or Peels and why did they (or he) need a boundary?

"In 1846, the parish of Sheffield was divided into 25 parochial districts, each district
to have a church and incumbent to itself. Of these 25 districts, one is the vicarage of
St. Peter. The others are perpetual curacies and are all provided with churches,
except Dyer's hill and Gillcar. All the districts have been formed, under Peel's Act,

into new ecclesiastical parishes for all useful and practical purposes."

From the Directory & Topography of Sheffield, 1862, page 13

Interesting! I thought it was a property marker too, marking the edge between a probably substantial shop/premises and the pavement/highway. There are modern markers around doing much the same thing. However a district boundary is interesting - when was Abbeydale Road developed? I think it is old enough to come under Peel's Act, so it looks like that is the answer. However i have never seen another one - i would think that they would be more common.

"In 1846, the parish of Sheffield was divided into 25 parochial districts, each district

to have a church and incumbent to itself. Of these 25 districts, one is the vicarage of

St. Peter. The others are perpetual curacies and are all provided with churches,

except Dyer's hill and Gillcar. All the districts have been formed, under Peel's Act,

into new ecclesiastical parishes for all useful and practical purposes."

From the Directory & Topography of Sheffield, 1862, page 13

This plaque possibly dates from 1895 when the new parishes of St Barnabus Sheffield and St Andrews Sharrow were instituted. Reading the description of the boundary though, it was a little further south along Chippinghouse Road.

The notice is here for anyone who wants to see the full detail:

data1895.pdf

data1895-2.pdf

This plaque possibly dates from 1895 when the new parishes of St Barnabus Sheffield and St Andrews Sharrow were instituted. Reading the description of the boundary though, it was a little further south along Chippinghouse Road.

The notice is here for anyone who wants to see the full detail:

attachicon.gifdata1895.pdf

attachicon.gifdata1895-2.pdf

Can be seen as a 'Boro Const & Ward Bdy' on the 1950's OS map #268