Home Guard Location Please?

I tried some Home Guard research a few years ago but found it almost impossible. There is a real dearth of info around. All I know anything about was there was a company at Worral that my Grandfather was a member of. It is possible to request Home Guard service records from the MOD but I understand that the records are slight and they cost £30 to purchase with no guarantee that they will find anything.

Hi

Thanks for reply, its amazing how things are forgotten. We could do with a grant!

mike

The Sheffield Archives has a some information on the Home Guard - includes the following:

YWA/13/7

'Souvenir War Report of the Waterworks Undertaking, 1939 - 1945'

A descriptive record of the Water Department's war service. Part one describes air raid precautions and other measures adopted for safeguarding the Water Works and maintaining water supplies during the war years; part two discusses aerial attacks on Sheffield with special reference to damage sustained by the Water Works and work of restoration; and part three outlines the mutual aid scheme which rendered assistance to London, Birmingham and Leeds after severe bombing raids.

Includes photographs of bomb damage; steel cable curtain defence of embankments against low flying enemy aircraft; members of the Waterworks Home Guard Company at their Hermitage Street Headquarters before disbandment in 1944; the Sheffield Waterworks contingent and relief party which assisted in the restoration of the London water supply after heavy air attacks in Oct 1940.

SY99/W2/2

Copy of Home Guard Northern Command - Final List of Officers, corrected to 31 October 1944

SY99/W2/1

Microfilm copy of a list of Home Guard casualties, 1939 - 1945

Lists members of Home Guard Battalions in the West Riding who died 1939 - 1945 (mostly from natural causes or accidents - a few from enemy action) - gives rank, name, date and cause of death, home address and next of kin, with alphabetical index

MD7550

Papers relating to Owen Bradshaw's (1890 - 1946) service in D Company 67th Battalion West Riding Home Guard, including writings on the topic of camouflage.

MC/20/3/1

Register of Clubs

Includes some correspondence and club rules, etc.

65th West Riding (Sheffield) Battalion Home Guard Officers Club ("Birklands", Handsworth); 69th West Riding Home Guard Regimental Institute (Norfolk Barracks, Edmund Road); 106th West Riding Home Guard "Z" A.A. Battery Officers Mess (11 George Street)