Arts Tower

RichardB

Its a listed building you know? Ironic, given it was built by the Uni. Have you ever ridden on the paternoster? It's quite interesting to go all the way around on it.

Its a listed building you know? Ironic, given it was built by the Uni. Have you ever ridden on the paternoster? It's quite interesting to go all the way around on it.

I understand it's customary to tell freshers it turns upside down as it goes over the top?

I travelled in the paternoster years ago. Some students are quite wary of it, never having seen anything quite like it before.

Do they still write messages on the tower for special events by leaving certain lights on while all the others are off, forming a giant dot-matrix display? I know they certainly did it for rag week in the early 90's, but I'm not normally in Sheffield at night to check these days.

Not sure about the messages using lights, but 5 years ago this happened :o

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/3927-recent-developments/?p=46980

Or perhaps not :unsure:

I travelled in the paternoster years ago. Some students are quite wary of it, never having seen anything quite like it before.

Do they still write messages on the tower for special events by leaving certain lights on while all the others are off, forming a giant dot-matrix display? I know they certainly did it for rag week in the early 90's, but I'm not normally in Sheffield at night to check these days.

The ones that were created by room lighting have not been used for a number of years, however I do have a photo of a later disply (when I find it), clearly visible in daylight, so could have been created by screening the windows with something like coloured papers or a translucent paint?

I do have a photo of a later disply (when I find it), clearly visible in daylight, so could have been created by screening the windows with something like coloured papers or a translucent paint?

Found them, this was created In aid of Marie Curie Cancer Care.

The ones that were created by room lighting have not been used for a number of years,

Anyone remember something similar happening at the Hallamshire hospital? Leading up to completion of the building someone had gone around and adjusted the sun blinds to make the letters S O S. It caused a bit of a stir at the time and made the Telegraph and Star. W/E.

Anyone remember something similar happening at the Hallamshire hospital? Leading up to completion of the building someone had gone around and adjusted the sun blinds to make the letters S O S. It caused a bit of a stir at the time and made the Telegraph and Star. W/E.

I remember that one W/E. I was coming home from work via East Bank Rd and it was clearly visible as I came down the hill. Given the complexity of the building it must have taken a lot of working out!

Indeed it does Steve. Just how many more did he, she or they do? As Bayleaf says it must have taken a lot of working out. Now days it would be a lot easier having the help of someone with a mobile phone outside. W/E.

Fantastic, I wonder if Look North are aware of this as they always seem to plug Leeds.

Was this tower owned in the late 1960's by Husband & Co a firm of arcitects, before the uni took over, or was that demolised,

Was this tower owned in the late 1960's by Husband & Co a firm of arcitects, before the uni took over, or was that demolised,

The tower that used to be the headquarters of Husband & Co is located by the bend in Glossop Road with Clarkson Street behind it and Durham Road to the side.

HD

I seem to remember something in the Telegraph a couple of weeks ago, I think it's something to do with the Festival of the mind the Uni are running