Halfway House. Britannia Road. Darnall.

RichardB

Ta Steve, this paragraph would appear to push the "open" date back to 1879 or earlier :

"She had been perhaps twice with Peace to the Marquis of Waterford public-house, and once to the Star Music Hall. She could not swear one way or the other whether she had charged to Peace's account drink consumed by her at an inn in Darnall called the Half-way House."

Aug 15 1868 - no landlord-an advert in the Independent: To be let, A free Beerhouse with upwards of an Acre of GARDEN to it, full of all kinds of Fruit Trees in a flourishing neighbourhood. No opposition. Fruits, Vegetables and Valuation very low.- Apply Half-way House, Britannia street, Darnall.

Sep 16 1869 Brewster Sessions, a Beer and Wine licence granted to Charles Coward Junior, Halfway House, Darnall

June 4 1870 The licence was transferred from Charles Coward to George Norton

Oct 22 1870 - George Norton held a Sparrow Shoot Leger at the Halfway House.

1871 Census - George Norton , File Grinder and Beer House Keeper at 80 Britannia road, "The Halfway House". The entry is out of sequence with the rest of the street, could be the enumerator spent some time in the Halfway House, sharpening his pencil and supping a pint.

Feb 23 1872 George Norton, publican, Darnall, fined for selling beer in prohibited hours

"A free Beerhouse with upwards of an Acre of GARDEN to it, full of all kinds of Fruit Trees in a flourishing neighbourhood."

Just a library, three or four houses and a Lidl now on Brittania Road. Hard to picture the pub. I am guessing where the library is now might be the site as it has land at the back.

And now gone altogether. Streetview Link

(although if you do a couple of clicks further up the road, it will magically re-appear courtesy of the Google Timelords) :)

Google streetview

I didn't realise that Brittania Rd was once longer than now. I have wondered about the disused road on the other side of Greenland Rd which still stands there and is occasionally used for vehicles during work in the area.

I think my grandparents ran this pub at some stage in the 1980s the pub was demolished in 2009 and had been derelict for some time before that.

Please share your memories or stories if you have any. Cheers! 

330692219_Halfway_House_80_Britannia_Road_Darnall_-_geograph_org.uk_-_1258313.jpg.1dbff6d7b2520b284d725243c3bc2508.jpg

half1.jpg.8dbe3352a022e4656ddb495c9d1d5d70.jpg

We used to go in there sometimes in the 70's and early 80's but I can't tell you any real detail.

There was a big Hammond organ in the room on the left (the type you usually only found in the clubs) and they used to get the occasional singers up on the mic.

It didn't quite pull the crowds it should have done but as organ fans, we always enjoyed going in.

I can't really remember the landlord and landlady but we were not regulars as such.

We were disappointed when the place closed.

Doug Cufflink and his wife Doris used to run the Halfway pub at Darnall at one time but not sure actually when. It could have been in the 80’s . One of their sons was John.  

Hi, I seem to remember my Gran telling me her brother-in-law used to run this pub - probably back in the 50’s/60’s … his surname was Brooks (can’t for the life of me remember his first name tho)

Just remembered it was Jim Brooks 😇

Guest leksand
2 hours ago, Chris Brooks said:

Hi, I seem to remember my Gran telling me her brother-in-law used to run this pub - probably back in the 50’s/60’s … his surname was Brooks (can’t for the life of me remember his first name tho)

Just remembered it was Jim Brooks 😇

Formally Alfred James, & he ran it from 1953 to 1977!

Very few of the many licensees that followed kept it for more than a year or two.

Guest leksand
8 hours ago, RichardS said:

Didn't it have a bowling green at the rear?

Crown Green, according to a board it once had up