River Street Near The Queen's Head

Calvin72

In front of the new Hallam Uni building opposite the train station there is a small feature containing some millstones or grindstones and street cobbles from River Street, which it is said stood near,or on,the site. Do we know anything of the street and where did the cobbles and stones come from? They look in pretty good condition to me... :ph34r:

In front of the new Hallam Uni building opposite the train station there is a small feature containing some millstones or grindstones and street cobbles from River Street, which it is said stood near,or on,the site. Do we know anything of the street and where did the cobbles and stones come from? They look in pretty good condition to me... :ph34r:

I remember River Lane, which was a sort of cul de sac that ran down the side of the Queen's Head pub. It certainly was cobbled. On the other side of the lane was a brick-built multi storey building which in later years served as the Council Housing Department. I'm sure I can remember this building when it carried a large Joseph Rodgers sign. Further along River Lane was a curious building with a rounded barrel roof used as the Sheffield United Tours booking office.

HD

River Street, Pond Hill appears to be listed on SRO from 1833-1852; River Lane 1893-1925 including Joseph Rodgers and a certain Batty Langley.

A knock down and rebuild perhaps ? Any further mentions of either between 1852-1893 please ?

Looks pretty conclusive that River Lane and River Street are one and the same.