Where In Sheffield Was This ?

Sheffield History

It shows how often I get to drive down in that end of the city. I thought it was still there ! :huh:

When we were returning from east coast holidays in the fifties/sixties, it was the point where we knew we were back in Sheffield.

The buses (and bus stops) changed to the familiar blue and cream and we knew that we would soon be home.

Just before the bridge a narrow lane, Barrow Road, came in from the left and someone giving me a lift to work used to take the short cut down there.

One morning we had almost got to the bottom when a lime tanker in front of us managed to get extremely stuck under another low railway bridge.

About twenty or more cars behind us all came to a standstill and by the time we had all reversed back up to Wincobank we were about an hour late for work.

We called them "The Dark Arches".

Cracking quality photo though.

HD

It shows how often I get to drive down in that end of the city. I thought it was still there ! :huh:

When we were returning from east coast holidays in the fifties/sixties, it was the point where we knew we were back in Sheffield.

The buses (and bus stops) changed to the familiar blue and cream and we knew that we would soon be home.

Just before the bridge a narrow lane, Barrow Road, came in from the left and someone giving me a lift to work used to take the short cut down there.

One morning we had almost got to the bottom when a lime tanker in front of us managed to get extremely stuck under another low railway bridge.

About twenty or more cars behind us all came to a standstill and by the time we had all reversed back up to Wincobank we were about an hour late for work.

We called them "The Dark Arches".

Cracking quality photo though.

HD

A poor photo HD showing the height restriction of 11' 9" . It turns out there were four railway bridges over roads in that area within a short distance of each other. W/E.

The original photo is very difficult to date, firstly because of it's quality and, secondly, because there is nothing to date in it!

Love the pic though - very evocative.

The bridges marked yellow are the ones with at least 14' 3" clearance. Ours in red at 11' 9" was the one that caused HDs and many others over the years the traffic problems. W/E.