Does anyone know ......

mickjj

<p>

I looked at the first picture without reading, thought I'd had a stroke or been rendered blind for my sins !

Sorry about that Richard, "no harm meant" .. lol

Have a look at this link to PictureSheffield .. Leadmill Road That's my Aunty Edna crossing the road :)

The bollard's in mickjj topic have been haunting me, especially putting a meaning to the 'HN' on the posts.
Because the area I was born and bred near to Leadmill Road had a very large triangular tarmacked playing area, known as 'the rec' and it was surrounded by those self same cast iron bollards.
In the photo most of the cast iron bollards have been replaced with concrete ones.
So is tsavo, sticking with 'the death of Horatio Nelson'?

Think so stevehb, it's maybe the obvious one but I think the coronet adds weight to that answer. He was a national here and many things were produced to commemorate his death.

Think so stevehb, it's maybe the obvious one but I think the coronet adds weight to that answer. He was a national here and many things were produced to commemorate his death.

Sorry tsavo, I just edited my last post, to add ... ps, there is a clue to where the pink ones are now standing, in the old photo.

Its outside the Fat Cat pub hey anyone fancy a closer look (er..pint) lol

If you do, I have an outstanding, polite request for a photograph from there; you don't even need to move 15 feet away from the front door, matter of fact the item is attached to the outside of the building !

<if it's still there !!!>

Here's another tack to think about. The area concerned was developed from the mid-19th century. Most of Sheffield was (and much still is) owned by the Duke of Norfolk, and the 15th Duke was Henry Fitzalan-Howard. (1847-1917). (In fact the 13th, 14th and 15th Dukes were all called Henry) Dukes I believe style themselves by their first name and the name of their title instead of their surname, so perhaps HN is 'Henry Norfolk', keeping his mark on his territory? That would go with the coronet as well.

Here's another tack to think about. The area concerned was developed from the mid-19th century. Most of Sheffield was (and much still is) owned by the Duke of Norfolk, and the 15th Duke was Henry Fitzalan-Howard. (1847-1917). (In fact the 13th, 14th and 15th Dukes were all called Henry) Dukes I believe style themselves by their first name and the name of their title instead of their surname, so perhaps HN is 'Henry Norfolk', keeping his mark on his territory? That would go with the coronet as well.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking Bayleaf, but my thoughts were more towards 'Howard of Norfolk'

The Howard Family

PARK HILL, South Street

Im a bit puzzled as to where the bollards are, take a look at the Fat Cat website. Weren't they in front?

The Fat Cat

Going to town tomorrow will have a look.

Sue

Hi Sue If i remember corectly turn left out of the Fat Cat and left again and there they are .

I noticed a few weeks ago that the water levels of the two floods (1864, 2007) are now marked on the outside wall of the pub.

You can't blame the "floods" for the loss of the bollards, these photos were taken pre flood (2 June 2007) not a bollard in sight! but don't let this stop you from double checking and sampling a pint at the same time.

If you get a chance, please take a picture of the street sign on the right hand side of the building, near the green bin.

Thanks in advance.

I wonder if a cannon comes into this?

Sorry to butt in, isn't fat cats where stones brewery used to be which was called William Stones Ltd - Cannon Brewery - Sheffield. When you mentioned if a cannon came into this well cannon brewery came into my mind. Also go to www.breweryhistory.com/Defunct/Pics/YorksRotherhamCutlers.htm to look at this pic, it is a stained glass window with the stones brewery crest at rotherhams cutler arms See the tudor rose and the crown?

Great pic - welcome to the site and thanks for posting the info

No doubt someone will help you with further information

I'm unfortunately not clued up on this subject but will do a bit of digging...