Accidentally Killed Whilst Playing At Football...1877

Calvin72

Whilst on a visit to Wardsend Cemetery recently i was shown this remarkable grave. I was surprised that Victorian Churches allowed a football grave motif, as it seemed a modern image.

George Beaumont.

THE FATAL ACCIDENT IN A QUARRY AT WALKLEY.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Friday, December 28, 1877;

Walkley Cemetery

Grave of Thomas Armitage who died as the result of an injury he suffered during a game, playing for Sheffield Wednesday Reserves on Christmas Day 1923.

I came across one of my ancestors that died at the Hilsborough Football Ground whilst looking on the Sheffield Indexers site. His name is Harry Appleyard and is buried at Crookes. He was interred on the 28/09/1953 in section B there.

I'm just curious as to who was playing and if the death was reported in the local paper.

Any info on either the St Philip's Football Club or the Walkley and Owlerton Football Club or indeed John Nadin's Quarry?

Possibility.

If the field adjoined Dark Lane, had a boundary wall with the quarry, and also had an area where there was little or no firm ground between the wall and the quarry, then this one fits the bill on all counts.

1890-93

Oldmaps.co.uk

The Walkley Parish Magazine for June 1890 says:

"Our Cricketers have been hard at work – they began by experiencing the wisdom of that adage "First secure your ground then play on it" but we are glad to tell Hon. Members and all others who are interested that by arrangement with our friends at the Conservative Club we now share that pleasant and retired ground known as the Hastings football field just behind Mr. Maxfield's house in Dark Lane."

Investigation suggests that John Maxfield lived in the house called 'Bole Hills' shown on the above map. The description of this particular football field implies, I think, that it was in the area directly behind the house, where a small quarry is marked, rather than the larger one highlighted in green above. 'Retired' suggests it was away from the main road.

But there may have been more than one football pitch!

I can't find another mention of the 'Hasting's football field'.

Good find Hugh, and of course a possible.

What casts doubt for me though are the words "field adjoining Dark Lane".

The field you suggest, by the way, is a football field to this day.

Google Streetview

---------------------------

Here's the last bit of evidence for the existence of "Bole Hills"

Google Streetview

It seems "Hastings" was a football team. The first mention I can find in connection with Dark Lane is in 1882. Here's a report from 1884 (5 Feb, Independent). Several reports mention the advantage of playing down the 'hill'.

Here's a thought.

The mention of the name 'Hastings' was in the early 1890's

In 1877 Lady Flora Paulyna Hetty Barbara Abney-Hastings (Lady Flora Hastings for short) married the Duke of Norfolk.

She died in 1887 at the young age of 33.

If the Conservative Club actually owned the football ground, maybe they named their team and their ground in her honour?

Reading the original again, "there was a quarry "IN" the field"

Looking very much like the field that you suggest Hugh which, on the map, clearly has a quarry in it as opposed to beside it.

I came across one of my ancestors that died at the Hilsborough Football Ground whilst looking on the Sheffield Indexers site. His name is Harry Appleyard and is buried at Crookes. He was interred on the 28/09/1953 in section B there.

I'm just curious as to who was playing and if the death was reported in the local paper.

There were a few home games just before your relative's funeral

Sat 6 Sep CHARLTON ATHLETIC....... 0-3 22 35,203

Sat 13 Sep TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR....... 2-0 22 42,174 Alan Finney, Jackie Sewell

Wed 17 Sep MIDDLESBROUGH........... 2-0 18 41,456 Derek Dooley, Jackie Sewell