Cooks Farm Wincobank Lane

castle boy

Hi and Welcome to the site Castle Boy.

Small starter for 10 from Trade Directories (I have no knowledge of Wincobank, never mind anything more detailed !)

Henry Cook, The Grange, Wincobank Lane, Farmer 1905-1925 (possibly earlier and indeed later; just what shows up on Directory searches).

1957, 1968, 1971 (all Kelly's Directories) H. Cook, Farmer, The Grange, Wincobank Lane.

Still no memories of the place at all ...

Henry Cooks farm was actually called Grange Farm . I knew Henry very well indeed when I was a young fellow .I used to work on Shepcote Lane and used to walk to work and back home again every day to keep myself fit . So I passed through Henrys farmyard twice each day and we used to have a good old chin wag about bygone times .He was so interesting I couldn't breakaway from him .

In October 1847 there was a "daring Highway robbery" on the person of Mr Gilberthorpe of Grange Farm, who was returning home from Sheffield market, and a little before dusk was between Grimesthorpe road and Osgathorpe House when he was seized and knocked insensible by four men, who rifled his pockets of four half-crowns and some other silver and copper coins.

Mr Gilberthorpe was robbed of four half-crowns plus silver and copper coins in 1847 , in a rough estimate

does anyone know how much that would equate to today ?

4 x half crowns = £1

Equivalent value of £1 in 1847 is not as simple as one might think, it seems.

It ranges from £79.74 to £2,483.00

As explained here.

4 x half crowns = £1

As explained here.

Eh ..... he he

4 x half crowns = £1

As explained here.

No -- 4 half crowns is ten bob

2s 6d x 4 = 8s + 24d = 10s

Look mum I can do algebra!

I am with you on this one Edmund completely ,did'nt reckon with two previous posters ,at least it was when I went to school many years ago .

The price of bread in Sheffield on 30th October 1847 was: Best household bread 7d per 4lbs (seconds 6d, brown 5d) . It had fallen from 8d / 7d / 6d on January 1st 1847.

So his 10 shillings would buy 120d/7d lots of 4lbs = 17.14 x 4lbs = 68.6lbs.

Morrisons price for an 800g Hovis Extra Thick Sliced Soft White Doorstep loaf is today £1.00.

800g = 1.76lbs

So to buy 68.6lbs of Morrisons bread today would cost 68.6/1.76 = £39

Therefore his 4 halfcrowns would be worth £39 today were he to spend it all on bread. Inflation on this basis is 7800%

Can anyone remember on a nice sunny day you do your washing , take it out to the garden and peg it out on your washline then hours later go to collect it only to find it all covered in red dust ? Yes , Jimmy Childs had been busy using his brick crushing machine .Anyone had their washing spoilt ?

A team from Hyde Park flats played their home games on the top flat area of the

' green belt ' overlooking Henry Cook's farm .The team was called Samuel Plimsoll .

Can anyone recall football here in the 1960's .

Henry Cook once told me many decades before , cricket was once played on the same area .

Just wondered if anyone knew of the cricket pitch , long before of house building .