Sheffield Flood - What Might Happen Today ?

RichardB

Representation of what might happen if the flood occured now.

Posted a week early in case it is of any use to those doing school projects.

Nothing is certain, this is flood data fed through modern flood prediction software - tempered by the fact a large % of the current buildings were not around in 1864.

Yours, free to play with/comment.

Link to Harrisons book so you can all read up on a contemporary account.

Swipe

Great work, there's a lot of work gone into that and it will take some digesting.

An initial comment - maybe the south western extent along Shalesmoor needs to come further south? The flood is only showing as extending halfway along Acorn Street and Dun Street, which are quite flat, and I know my relatives had a lot of damage there.

The painting below shows a log, said to have weighed 2 tons, that had been washed by the flood from Butcher's works at Philadelphia (a little way up valley from Rutland Road) and deposited on Penistone Road. Being too heavy to move, it remained there for weeks, providing an ideal subject for photographers and artists alike. The building on the extreme left is the New Inn, and the road junction immediately beyond it (which almost doubles back) is Cornish Street, with a few yards further along, Dun Street. The road to the right is Hoyle Street: this location is currently the bottom of Netherthorpe Road. The tower of Sheffield Parish Church can be seen in the background.

We ran out of time/effort ! As with the pubs list it should be taken as a "maybe", constructive critisism (such as yours Edmund) always appreciated.

"Nice work Chaps, but <insert evidence> <attach picture>".

Lovely stuff. I'm aware of what I consider an reasonable sized error, which we can work on as other comments come in.

This isn't a work of fact, just a possibility and yes, it was quite a lot of work.

Special Thanks to Mr Murray for the technical ability and effort to make this happen and to me and others for bombarding him with supposedly accurate data from "way back when".

The map indicates that part of (Hillsborough College ?) on Liversey Street escapes, but it doesn't seem to be on ground any higher than it's surroundings.