The Great Sheffield Flood - 1864 (150Th Anniversary)

Guest ruswis

Hi All:

Tuesday, March 11th, is the 150th anniversary of the Great Sheffield Flood. An exhibition and a range of events have been arranged to commemorate the occasion (mostly taking place in the Malin Bridge/Bradfield areas). For anyone who is interested, this 'Flood Anniversary' web site gives details of all the events. Hope to see you there (at the events, not the web site!!! ;-) ).

http://mick-armitage.staff.shef.ac.uk/sheffield/flood/anniversary.html

On the Sunday March 9th a Memorial Service will be held at 10. 30 am for the victims of the flood at St Nicholas Church High Bradfield.

The Bishop of Sheffield the Rt Revd Dr Steven Croft will preach.

The Church will be open Saturday March 8th from 10am to 4pm and Sunday March 9th from 12.30 pm to 4pm.

Children from the near by Bradfield Dungworth Primary School will sing two songs written in memory of the tragedy

" The Dale Dyke Dam Disaster " and " The Moon Shines Down "

The songs were composed by David Markham and Mike Lydiat. The children have also been working on a project at

school that will be displayed in the church together with the church register from the 1860s.

This was written in 1947 by my Great Aunt Nellie. A copy is kept in the Local Studies Library.

(Although they wrongly catalogue it as about the 1947 flooding)

A Retrospect of

The Great Sheffield Flood 1864

By Ellen Styring

Proceeds in aid of the "Farmers Flood Disaster Fund 1947"

(In response to the terrible British floods of 1947)

I'm sure some of our members have some relatives who lost their lives in the Great Flood

I know I have ancestors who did.

This is a report on the claimant's list of items. One that amuses me is the item " I eight day clock in oak case £4-10s "

Eight day clock ?? I believe there was one on the Antique Road Show once and it was explained why they were

called eight day clocks.

Also mentioned is a Barege Dress 10/- .Does anyone know what this is?

Another claimant were the chap who was claiming for loss of 30/- weekly earnings because his Master at the Union Wheel

had drowned and now he'd no job. The claim cultures nothing new then.

I will be discussing the Great Flood with Ron Clayton on Wednesday at 12 noon on Sheffield Live (93.2 FM and online).

"The exact cause of the dam's failure however was not uncovered until more than 100 years later when a study uncovered issues with the watertight barrier - or puddle clay - in the embankment."

From Unitedite Returns BBC link; would be interesting to locate the report ...

(Good Luck with the footie !)

One that amuses me is the item " I eight day clock in oak case £4-10s "

Eight day clock ?? I believe there was one on the Antique Road Show once and it was explained why they were

called eight day clocks? When fully wound, in theory they would only need winding every eight days. We could only get seven days out of ours. W/E.

I particularly like the claim from a ratcatcher for loss of earnings on account of the rats had all drowned!

The Great Sheffield Flood Commemorations were wonderful. I met people from all over the world & enjoyed the walk led by Malcolm Nunn & attended by 208 people to Dale Dyke Dam on Tuesday.. The weather couldn't have been better! Many thank to all who provided a great exhibition at the weekend.

My 2x Gt Grandad John King who died in Shaw's Wire mill at Damflask would have been proud to know that so many people wanted to commemorate that sad occasion.

I walked round the Dale Dike Dam today. It was rebuilt on a smaller scale after the disaster. A couple of photos show a datestone for the 1887 works, and the CLOB stone, which shows the Centre Line of Old Bank", and you can see the new bank a third of a mile further back than the original:

Has anyone seen or bought the newly released book of the 1864 Sheffield Flood

called "Inundation , the Sheffield Flood 1864 " by Mick Drewry ?

I just wondered if it was worth buying?

This has more than likely appeared before, but Sheffield Hallam are hosting a lottery funded website at the moment which allows you to read all of the claims that were made after the inundation. They provide a fascinating yet obviously tragic insight into many aspects of mid-nineteenth century life in Sheffield. It's called Sheffield flood claims archive.

https://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/