Race Track Parkwood Springs

eldomsmith

I have a memory from the early 1980s of a small race track up on Parkwood Springs. This was not long after the houses were demolished (outlines were visible) but before the ski village. It was used for radio control cars.

But Now I find no trace! Did I dream this??

Guest Mark Trueman

Hi, I think the track you make reference to was the Cycle Speedway oval that was situated what is (was) the upper part of the Ski Village car park. I used to trials ride there in the early to mid eighties and we used to park to the side of it. Hope this helps!

Thanks Mark, So it wasn't a dream! I haven't been able to find anymore info on this. So you think it wen when the ski village was built?

Guest Mark Trueman

Thanks Mark, So it wasn't a dream! I haven't been able to find anymore info on this. So you think it wen when the ski village was built?

No Problem, the track was at the top of Vale Road on the right hand side as I recall, ironic, as I am in the process of trying to get hold of old foto's of Parkwood from the 1980's, my late father helped build the Motocross track that was there at the time. Remember the Saturday / Sunday's when we were there from Sunrise-Sunset, it was a bust place for off roading, even had the burger van and ST Johns Ambulance there. Sadly all changed in the late 1980's when landfill kicked in, any help with old foto's greatly appreciated. Cheers

The Ski Village car park covers where once the cycle speedway track was. This track itself was a replacement for another track that had been built literally a few yards away from the new site. The old track would have been built around 1968 (before my time!) and fell into disrepair around 1975. The newer Parkwood track would have been built around the same time (1975/6) although facilities remained very Spartan with only a wooden hut for storing items such as brooms, watering cans and starting gates.

Cycle speedway teams - such as Parkwood Crusaders, Parkwood Aces and Parkwood Wasps regularly held race meetings from March to October since the late 60s until the both tracks were closed, although the tracks did not operate concurrently.

When the Ski Village was built, a new replacement cycle speedway track was built at the Graves Tennis & Leisure Centre, Norton, (used to be known as Rowlinson Sports Centre) in 1983. Parkwood was still used until around 1985 before being built on.

The Graves track was upgraded about three years ago and now stages top class racing, hosting British Finals and Elite League competitions in additional to local activities. In addition, the current Sheffield Stars club also run local and regional events at Cookson Park (Halliwell Cresent) which has also been recently refuribished having been completely rebuilt when the Park was opened as a leisure site in 2008.

Hope this helps but if you have any questions, please fire away!

The Ski Village car park covers where once the cycle speedway track was. This track itself was a replacement for another track that had been built literally a few yards away from the new site. The old track would have been built around 1968 (before my time!) and fell into disrepair around 1975. The newer Parkwood track would have been built around the same time (1975/6) although facilities remained very Spartan with only a wooden hut for storing items such as brooms, watering cans and starting gates.

Cycle speedway teams - such as Parkwood Crusaders, Parkwood Aces and Parkwood Wasps regularly held race meetings from March to October since the late 60s until the both tracks were closed, although the tracks did not operate concurrently.

Happy days! W/E.