Help ! - I'm Looking For A 28 Year Old Prostitute

RichardB

If it's the correct lady, Harriet was living on Lambert Street in 1901 and was a charwoman.

In 1903 she was inebriated in the Old Albion, Lambert street:

And in 1904 she fell down in the street for some reason.... Bailey street:

She is the only person listed as Prostitute in the Quarter Sessions. Accused of stealing money from one John Ramsden.

There is a beerhouse keeper for UKLs collection anyway.

RichardB - That's what I call a headline grabber!

And this is possibly the only forum you could put this message on without getting a instant ban lol

Haley

English and Scottish: habitational name from any of various places called Hawley. One in Kent is named with Old English hālig ‘holy’ + lēah ‘wood’, ‘clearing’, and would therefore have once been the site of a sacred grove. One in Hampshire has as its first element Old English h(e)all ‘hall’, ‘manor’, or healh ‘nook’, ‘corner of land’. However, the surname is common in South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire, and may principally derive from a lost place near Sheffield named Hawley, from Old Norse haugr ‘mound’ + Old English lēah ‘clearing’.

http://names.whitepages.com

Haley

English and Scottish: habitational name from any of various places called Hawley. One in Kent is named with Old English hālig ‘holy’ + lēah ‘wood’, ‘clearing’, and would therefore have once been the site of a sacred grove. One in Hampshire has as its first element Old English h(e)all ‘hall’, ‘manor’, or healh ‘nook’, ‘corner of land’. However, the surname is common in South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire, and may principally derive from a lost place near Sheffield named Hawley, from Old Norse haugr ‘mound’ + Old English lēah ‘clearing’.

http://names.whitepages.com

Hawley is said to be the origin of the name Hollow Meadows (originally Hawley Meadows) according to David Hey's book.

--

On a TV program many years ago, two women had written a book on their research of place names. One of those odd bits of useless information that has stuck in my mind for decades is that a haugh describes a particular shaped hill. It is a long narrow hill which narrows down then widens out again to a smaller hill at one end. Somewhat resembling the sole and heel of a foot.

They maintained that anywhere with the word Haugh, Haw or any other similar spelling, was very probably on or around such a hill.

Whilst driving in an unfamiliar area (somewhere out in the countryside down south) with a bunch of workmates, we came to a tee junction. Bang in front of us was such a hill. I casually remarked that I bet there was a town or village nearby called Haughton or something similar. They rubbished me of course, so I got the map book out and sure enough (to my surprise as well as theirs) there was.