Loxley's Printers

KevinB

Hi

If I am in the wrong forum, I'm sure someone will point me in the right direction but I am trying to find information about a certainq TG Hunt who retired from Loxley Bros printers (as it was called then) on the 3rd April 1937. He was presented with a gold watch from the staff and work people of Loxley's on his retirement and I have the watch but who was TG Hunt and what was his position at Loxley's?

If he retired aged 65 then his birth year would have been around 1872.

Thomas Griffiths Hunt, a Stationery Porter, in 1911 living at 615 Queens Road:

and from the London Gazette of 6th April 1920:

THOMAS GLOBE, Deceased.…, late of 69, Hope street,Thornhill, Rotherham, in the county of York,

deceased (who died on the 14th day of February, 1920, and whose will was proved by Thomas Griffiths-Hunt,

of 615, Queen's-road, Sheffield, Letter Press Printer,and William Forrest, of 5, Ashford-road, Sharrow,

Sheffield, Shoe Maker, the executors therein named, on the 10th day of March, 1920, in the Wakefield District

Probate Registry

Having looked at an enlargement of the census sheet, TG Hunt's address looks more like 616 not 615 Quuens Road. Any one agree?

It is more likely to be an odd number, because the last numbered building (on the right out of town) before the school (which was built in 1874) is number 586.

615 would have been on the opposite side, somewhere between the Golf Shop (605) and Boots Opticians (633)

This given that the numbering has not changed dramatically in the meantime.

Having looked at an enlargement of the census sheet, TG Hunt's address looks more like 616 not 615 Quuens Road. Any one agree?

According to the directories, there wasn't a 616 on Queens Road, even numbers finished at 586, continuation is London Road.

According to the directories, there wasn't a 616 on Queens Road, even numbers finished at 586, continuation is London Road.

My point exactly.

586 is the building that was (until recently) Hagglers corner.

That's fascinating. Clearly 616 Queens Road did not exist but TG Hunt wrote 616 on the census form he signed. I wonder why?

Many thanks for you replies!

No, No it's definitely 615

The stroke goes down then back up and round to form the half circle - followed by the "lid" which is too small and not connected to the main stroke.