Bole Hill

Guest meris1002

Guest meris1002

Hi i work at Bole Hill Nursery on bole hill road, formally Bole Hill (County) primary School and im puting together a display of the old school and its history, i have the original plans and some fantastic photos but im just missing former pupils memories of the place, hopefully ill get some feedback from here but does anyone know which websites are best to find out information, i want to find anything and everything about the place. thanks you in advance xx emma

Records kept at Sheffiel Archives

Bole Hill Primary
Previous names: Bole Hill Mixed Board School (1896-1902)

Bole Hill Road
Walkley

Opened: 1896
Closed: 1994

CA 729/S1/1-7 Log Books 1896-1994
CA 729/S2/1-11 Admission Registers 1896-1994
CA 724/P17/1-2 Governors’ Records 1977-1988
CA 729/S3, S5-6 Other Records 1897-1981

Bolehill Primary School and Adjoining Boundary Wall and Shelter

Grade: II
Date Listed: 22 June 1995
English Heritage Building ID: 455811

Designed by WJ Hale. For the Sheffield School Board. 1896

WJ Hale, 1862-1929, was a pupil of Innocent & Brown, architects of Sheffield's earliest board schools. He had his
own practice in Sheffield from 1893, and designed a number of noteworthy schools and Nonconformist churches.

Source Britishlistedbuildings

Records kept at Sheffield Archives

Bole Hill Primary

CA 729/S2/1-11 Admission Registers 1896-1994

The earlier admission registers are transcribed at http://www.sheffieldindexers.com :-

Bole Hill School, Bole Hill Rd, Walkley - May 4, 1896 to Aug 25, 1930

Bole Hill Jnr & Inf's Council, Walkley - Mar 20, 1904 to Sept 25 1933

There are a number of threads at SheffieldForum about this school:

eg http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1115166

Both my Mother and myself went to Bole Hill school, she in the 50's and me in the 80's and I always remember it as a very small close knit establishment. If I remember correctly there were less than 20 children in each class while I was there and it was closed 6 years after I left. The headteacher during my time there was Steven Gascoyne (could be Gascoigne perhaps). All out church events used to take place at the Ebenezer Methodist church on South Road. There was the usual story that the bell tower was haunted and we were allowed in there one day and as the whole class entered out teacher shut the door and we all screamed as it was pitch black. I can still remember the exact layout of all the classrooms etc. The bottom playground had as it's major attractions two concrete sewage pipes clearly donated by the City Council. One was large and short, ideal for trying to run around like a hamster in a cage, and the other was narrow and long like a piece of tunnelling. We also had a large tree trunk in the bottom playground to play on. There was a yearly rounders tournament and the aim was to try and beat the teachers always. I was milk monitor at the school in my infant days and we used to have to wait for the delivery and portion it all out and deliver it. I could probably tell you another hundred pointless stories so if you want to hear anymore or have any specific questions please message me.

4,963 former pupils listed here including one who allegedly attended before the place opened !

Adams, George (Student, dob 1886).

Parent or guardian name(s): Job Adams of 20 Bole Hill Lane.

Admitted to Bole Hill School, Bole Hill Rd, Walkley, Sheffield, as of 13 Sep 1887, until 31 Aug 1898, reason for leaving: Truant School.

Previously attended Crookes Endowed Schl..

Remarks: Turned out for irregularity.

Hi i work at Bole Hill Nursery on bole hill road, formally Bole Hill (County) primary School and im puting together a display of the old school and its history, i have the original plans and some fantastic photos but im just missing former pupils memories of the place, hopefully ill get some feedback from here but does anyone know which websites are best to find out information, i want to find anything and everything about the place. thanks you in advance xx emma

4,963 former pupils listed here including one who allegedly attended before the place opened !

Your link returns to the top of this page Mr B. :)

and I checked it out - badly it would appear. www.sheffieldindexers.com if my signature worked it would be nice...I could just refer to that.

Your link returns to the top of this page Mr B. :)