Harold K Styring

Guest jessicahellis

Guest jessicahellis

Hi all...just doing some digging in the family past-only just started and am a complete novice..my grandma was from sheffield and lived there until she died, she was called winifred unwin.when she died we found an old piece of paper from october 1958 that had a plan of all properties own by a harold k styring and an almost family tree of this family but not sure how this related to our family..my granddad was an ellis?!?! Anyone have any info please get in touch

Thanks very much

Jess ellis

Guest jessicahellis

Hi vox.

My piece of paper has quite a few of these names on but I havent got far enough to know how or if they are related to us-can scan and put on yor post tonight if you would like to see..just wondered if you had heard of winifred unwin who was born and bred in sheffield or my granddad who was called joseph ernest kitchener ellis? Trying to find a link?

I sent an email to my cousin who is the one doing research at the moment.

This is his repy

I've checked on marriages and I cant find any marriage between a Styring and anyone called Unwin or Ellis. As you know, Uncle Harold's tree only shows the male lines and for these, only a few spouses surnames are shown - none of them Unwin or Ellis. If Unwin was Winifred's married surname, her mother's maiden name could have been Styring. I checked on the marriages of men called Unwin to someone called Winifred and found 3 within the likely timeframe - 1900 to 1920 (although this is only a guess). The maiden names were Winifred Merrit, Winifred Lee and Winifred Tym - no marriages to Styring recorded for any of these surnames.

Vox

Is Frank Rusby Styring, any relation, his name is on Crookes Cemetery Memorial

M.G.C.

Died 9/4/17

Buried at Beaurains, Arras, France

This is the ELLIS/UNWIN marriage...

GRO Marriages SEP Qtr 1941

Ellis Joseph E K ( Unwin)

Unwin Winifred L (Ellis)

Sheffield 9c 1190

The entry for Winifred Lucy ELLIS in the GRO death index (1995) lists her date of birth as 19 Mar 1912.

Here is her baptism

Baptisms at St Mary’s Bramall lane (Sheffield FHS transcription)

18 Sep 1904 UNWIN Joseph William s. of Joseph & Lucy Ann 9 Division St grocer (bn 30 Aug 1904)

7 Apr 1912 UNWIN Winifred Lucy d. of Joseph & Lucy Ann 280 Shoreham Street grocer (bn 19 Mar 1912)

Her parents' marriage at the same church:

St Mary’s Bramall Lane marriage (Sheffield FHS index)

24 Jun 1901

UNWIN Joseph 22 Bach s. of Joseph

WRIGHT Lucy Ann 23 Spinst d. of William Henry

Now look at these neighbouring households in the 1901 census:

1901 census

piece 4369 folio 126 page 2

157 Edmund Rd

(Sheffield; Ecclesiastical District: St Mary’s [bramall Lane])

William H WRIGHT Head Marr 48 pocket blade grinder Sheffield

Elizabeth WRIGHT Wife Marr 45 Sheffield

Lucy A WRIGHT Dau Unm 23 ivory cutter Sheffield

Elizabeth WRIGHT Dau Unm 21 Sheffield

William H WRIGHT Son Unm 19 pocket blade forger Sheffield

Roland WRIGHT Son Unm 16 pocket blade grinder Sheffield

John A WRIGHT Son 13 errand boy Sheffield

Ellen A WRIGHT Dau 11 Sheffield

//

159 Edmund Rd

John STYRING Head Marr 33 razor grinder Sheffield

Agnes STYRINGWife Marr 31 Sheffield

Florence M STYRING Dau 9 Sheffield

Agnes STYRING Dau 8 Sheffield

... and also another marriage from St Mary's:

11 May 1874

WRIGHT William Henry 21 Bach son of William

STYRING Elizabeth 18 Spinst dau of Benjamin Buckingham

for which this is the GRO entry:

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1874

Wright William Henry

Styring Elizabeth

Sheffield 9c 650

John STYRING is Elizabeth's brother, as shown by yet another St Mary's marriage:

7 Apl 1890

STYRING John 22 Bach s. of Benjamin Buckingham (Dec)

RAMSAY Agnes 20 Spinst d. of Thomas

Vox

M.G.C.

Died 9/4/17

Thanks.

I think I've asked my cousin about this one before Stuart. Can't remember ever getting a reply.

I'll remind him.

... and also another marriage from St Mary's:

11 May 1874

WRIGHT William Henry 21 Bach son of William

STYRING Elizabeth 18 Spinst dau of Benjamin Buckingham

for which this is the GRO entry:

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1874

Wright William Henry

Styring Elizabeth

Sheffield 9c 650

John STYRING is Elizabeth's brother, as shown by yet another St Mary's marriage:

7 Apl 1890

STYRING John 22 Bach s. of Benjamin Buckingham (Dec)

RAMSAY Agnes 20 Spinst d. of Thomas

Benjamin Buckingham Styring.

My GG Grandfather

SH Link

Guest jessicahellis

Vox- Does that make us cousins? You've come down Elizabeths (Styring) side of the family and i have come down William Henry's (Wright) side of the family.. This is crazy- thank you so much for this information. I find this incredible with what you can do!! HughW, this is amazing...so i have to find Lucy's other 5 brothers and sister now and see what became of them.. Can i ask where you got the information from so i can try and research a little deeper? thanks so much. Jess

Vox

M.G.C.

Died 9/4/17

Baptisms from Sheffield Indexers:

STYRING, Ernest Lenton (of 88 Sydney Rd, born 1892-08-21).

Baptised June 23, 1895, by F.W.Stubbs at St Stephens, Netherthorpe.

Parents name(s) are Mary & Charles Percy (Optician).

STYRING, Frank Rusby (of 88 Sydney Rd, born 1889-11-08).

STYRING, Helen (of 88 Sydney Rd, born 1888-01-23).

I think the tree posted above lists Frank and Ernest (without their middle names) as the sons of 'Charles P' born 1857, who was son of Thomas STYRING and Mary POOLE. Thomas was a first cousin of Benjamin Buckingham.

Thanks.

I think I've asked my cousin about this one before Stuart. Can't remember ever getting a reply.

I'll remind him.

He is mentioned in a recent Grapvine magazine article, with photos

My cousin is otherwise occupied at the moment, new grandson, other commitments. He's the one we need to consult.

Hopefully he'll find time to have a look at this post.

Guest jessicahellis

This is the piece of paper, sorry if they are big files but you may want to see these.thanks

This is the piece of paper, sorry if they are big files but you may want to see these.thanksattachicon.gif

That's fantastic jessicahellis. Looks like some of his research notes.

I've never seen those before.

I'm guessing that they are photos. Is there any chance of scanning them to improve the quality.

Guest Buffrey

My Ancestor, Benjamin Buckingham Styring) was the 5th son of John Styring (1797-1836) who married Mary (surname unknown). John's younger brother James (1802-1842) married Mary Garlick. Their second son Thomas Styring (Benjamin Buckingham Styring's cousin) married Mary Poole. Thomas and Mary's son was Charles Percy Styring. He married Mary Rusby in 1881. They had a son Frank Rusby Styring in 1889.

Vox

M.G.C.

Died 9/4/17

According to Buffrey's post, the answer is yes then Stuart. :)

I'll get up there and get a photo.

Guest Buffrey

A correction to my post of 9th May - Charles Percy Styring's wife was Lily Rusby not Mary Rusby. Also, I have found another Styring/Rusby link. In 1875, Walter Buckingham Styring married Elizabeth Rusby. On the 1881 census, Walter and his family were living at 183 Douglas Road, Neepsend. 2 doors away, number 179 was the home of Lily Rusby and her sister Ann. (A few months before Lily married Charles Percy). Walter's middle name of Buckingham is a clear indication that he was related to Charles Percy - perhaps his brother. The location of Walter's and Elizabeth's home to that of Lily suggests that Elizabeth was also closely related to Lily - perhaps sisters. Walter and Elizabeth were therefore very likely to have been a factor in how Charles Percy and Lily met.

Hello,

my great-grandmother was Florence Styring, born around 1897 in the Eccleshall area. Her father was Ellis Styring, born around 1867, I assume from the same area. It would be great to make the connection to this fascinating document. Please help me if you can!

many thanks,

Simon Hickinbotham

John Styring b1868 d 8 Sept 1915 is buried in Norton Cem, Derbyshire Ln, Sect Xa Grave 67, along with wife Agnes nee Ramsay b1870 d 20 Jan 1939.

Also in same grave is a Percy Wood d 13 Dec 1940 in air raid. Percy married a Florence May Styring in Sheffield 1920.

There are a few Styrings that come from Whiston area

http://www.whistonweb.co.uk/gen/styring.htm

Link to findagrave.com

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=styring&GSiman=1&GScid=2405982&GRid=128531110&

The Ellis's and Styrings seem to have many connections.  As another novice to working out my family history, it’s been really helpful that my ancestors had a habit of using surnames as Christian names. I wonder which branch of the Ellis line Jess belongs to?  I'm a descendent of Walter and Harriet (nee Elliott) of Summer Street. 

Update: My connection is to Edward Eadon Styring married to Norah Millicent Ada Ellis 

Harold Knight Styring was my great Uncle too , my paternal Grandfathers brother ! My late Father was Henry Styring . On my Mothers side , my  maternal Nanan was an Ellis before she married my  Maternal granddad who was a Wildgoose .

On 08/02/2019 at 17:46, KateR said:

Harold Knight Styring was my great Uncle too , my paternal Grandfathers brother ! My late Father was Henry Styring . On my Mothers side , my  maternal Nanan was an Ellis before she married my  Maternal granddad who was a Wildgoose .

Could these news articles be of any use to you ??

11 January 1939 - Sheffield Evening Telegraph - Sheffield, 

Thorpe Hesley  1.JPG

16 February 1939 - Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Sheffield, 

Thorpe Hesley  2.JPG

10 May 1939 - Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Sheffield, 

Thorpe Hesley  3.JPG

02 June 1939 - Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Sheffield,

Thorpe Hesley  4.JPG

Thorpe Hesley  5.JPG

Thorpe Hesley  6.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks so much , these are interesting ! What a shame that we only get really into our past when all those who could help us are long gone !

• Thanks 1