Steel History Dissertation

Guest lizzyjewell

Guest lizzyjewell

Hi,

I have already posted this on the Sheffield Forum so I do apologise if any of you frequent both forums and have already read a plea from me.

My name is Lizzy Jewell, I am a third year History and English student at the University of Sheffield. I am in the process of writing my dissertation, on which I want to construct an oral history about the decline of the steel industry in the early 1980s. It's an important period, as it changed the shape of Sheffield as a city hugely.

As it is an oral history, this means I want to base it mostly from interviews from witnesses - rather than solely from information I can gather from archives, books or newspaper sources.

So, if anyone on this forum worked in the steel industry at any point, or is/was related to anyone who did, I want to hear from you. I want to know what it was like to work there, and especially about job losses - how it impacted you, your families, and the city of Sheffield on the whole.

Ideally, I'd love to set up some face to face interviews over the next couple of weeks. If there is anyone on this forum who could help me with this, or point me in the right direction to contact some people, I would be so grateful. I can be contacted either on this forum, or directly by email at EAJewell1@sheffield.ac.uk

Really looking forward to hearing from you,

Lizzy Jewell