Luke Firth

frechylass

Ive been tracing my families past and have gotten stumped on a Great Great great grandfather of mine.

His name was Luke Firth bn 1820. It seems he married a mary anne braithwaite? Not sure about this last bit because there's lots of marys and anns marrying a luke firth out there.

Luke was a spring knife manufacturer. I was led to believe by my family he is somehow related to mark and thomas firth of thomas firth and sons. This i have gotten stumped on. Maybe the answer is out there or maybe its me that just cannot get my head around it or maybe im looking and the answer isnt there and my granadad is just another firth that is in the steel industry.

I have gotten to a Richard firth bn abt 1663 which had Paul firth bn abt 1715 then his son Thomas Firth 1750-1819 (could he be the link? if so theres no mention of another thomas or a brother mark) his son John Firth 1786-1872 then luke. Those are the direct line.

I've checked the sibling males on all sides and theres no mention of any bros called mark or thomas.

My father has photos of mark firth and certain drafts which came down the line within the family. Why we have those if we wasnt somewhat ancestors if not remote i dont know?

Anyone shed a light because its making my brain mushy ;)

Dawn

LONDON GAZETTE, 16th March 1883

The Bankruptcy Act, 1869.

In the County Court of Yorkshire, holden at Sheffield, in the Matter of Proceedings tor Liquidation by Arrangement or Composition with Creditors, instituted by Luke Firth, residing at Beighton, in the county of Derby, and carrying on business at Sheaf Island Works, Pondhill,
Sheffield, in the county of York, as a Spring Knife Manufacturer.

NOTICE is hereby given, that a First General Meeting of the creditors of the above-named person has been Summoned to be held at the rooms of tbe Sheffield District Incorporated Law Society, situated at Hoole's - chambers, 45, Bank-street, Sheffield, in the county of York, on the
37th day of March, 1883, at three o'clock in the afternoon precisely.—

Dated this 10th day of March, 1883.

BROOMHEAD, WlGUTMAN,and MOORE. Bankchambers,
George-street, Sheffield, Solicitors for the said Luke Firth.

BEIGHTON TOWNSHIP.

Post Office at Mr. Richard Ashley’s. Letters arrive from Sheffield at 1 p.m., and despatched at 4.15 p.m.

Banks Harrison, saddler

Dennis Charles, blacksmith

Dickinson Olivia, boarding school

Draper Thomas, station master

Erskine Hon. & Rev. Thomas, M.A.,

Vicarage

Firth Luke, spring knife, &c., manufacturer,

The Manger and Sheffield

Fewks John, bricklayer, Sothal

Handley Mr. Benjamin, The Terrace

Harrison George, gardener

Hatfield Mr. Thomas, The Terrace

Hobson John, parish clerk

Hutchinson George, shoemaker

Whites 1857 Directory

Firth, Luke (, Spring Knife Cutler).
Residing at Hanover St, in 1841.
Recorded in: Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheff & Roth Directory - 1841.

Firth, Luke (, Springknife manufacturer).
Residing at 57; h. 158 Broad Lane, in 1852.
Recorded in: White's Gazetteer & General Directory of Sheffield - 1852.

Firth, Luke (~, Sp. Knf. Mnfr.).
Residing at ~ Burngreave Road (Occupation Road), in 1871.
Recorded in: Whites Shefffield & District Directory - 1871.

Sheffield Indexers

Firth Luke, Sheffield, England, Manufacturer. c1849 - 1870 - Value High

Blades Guide to Knives and Their Value

By Steve Shackleford

Thank you for all the info. Much appreciated, I will be showing my dad it.. Still none of the wiser if the other firths are related? Im still working on it.

Thanks again x

Well you did ask....

In 1841 Luke was a grinder living with his wife Mary Ann at St Thomas lane

At the 1851 census Luke was a spring knife manufacturer employing 7 men, and married to Mary Ann.

25th November 1854 Luke Firth of Broad Lane donated £1 1s 1d to the Sheffield General Infirmary

6th October 1855 Luke Firth of Broad Lane Works provided illuminations in Broad Lane to celebrate the Fall of Sebastopol (in the form of a V and N with a star in between, gaslit)

29th September 1866 the home of Luke Firth at 113 Burngreave Road was burgled

Advertisement published June 20, 1868, Luke Firth occupying Sidney Works (Matilda Street / Sidney

Street)

Emily Firth married Tom Sokehill 1873

Jane Caroline Firth married Thomas Tomlin 1875

In February 1876 the Independent’s “New Domesday Book” series gave Luke Firth’s landholding as being 1 acre and 22 perches, gross estimated rental £46 10s

An article in the Independent in May 1877 examined the records of the Sheffield Loyal Volunteers, commenting on families who had continued their links with them. It stated that Luke Firth, grinder of Furnace Hill was an ancestor of Luke Firth, cutlery manufacturer, Burngreave Road.

In March 1883 Luke Firth (living at Beighton, manufacturing spring knives at Sheaf Island Works Pond Street) was bankrupt. His son-in-law Thomas Tomlin was on his committee of inspection.

London Gazette Firth Bankrupt 1883.pdf

Details of his liquidation sale:

By June 1883 he was buying property valued at £2400 at Nether Green and having his Beighton residence sold by his morgage. However compare the land area with the 1877 New Domesday land area, plus the fact that he had just gone bankrupt - I think he was selling the land at Nether Green.

Mary Ann Firth died 21st November 1885 at 243 Abbeydale Road

I've not been able to find any details of Luke's death.

1861 Census:

1871 Census:

1881 Census:

1891 Census:

Entrance to Broad Lane Works:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13194&pos=24&action=zoom&id=16076

and a map showing Broad Lane Works from 1853:

A map showing Sidney Works 1891:

Sheaf Island Works (presumably Firth rented space from Joseph Rodgers):

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u04124&pos=1&action=zoom&id=39254

and a map from 1891:

Brilliant! Thank you Edmund. Its unbelievable how much info you have gotten in such a small time. Im so chuffed with it all. Now its beginning to fall together thanks to all who has helped. x

I did ask lol. I have all these family trees to sort out and trying to tie them up on a portfolio. On my mums, theres Lynes, coggans, connells etc. Then on my dads side theres goodwins, tomlins, firths, cobbs on one side and on the other Farrand and Drury. The latter (drurys) has surprised me more, it seems to go on and have found me with a Edmund Drury married to a Jane trenchard in the 1400-1500's. Looking at it they come with a big title. Big difference from farrand who are mostly cutlers, grinders etc and living in slum areas to one of them marrying a drury and then the list goes on lol! Anyway tempted but I will try not to ask again ;)

P.s Ive also google mapped all the addresses.