Sheffield Star - Saturday April 21St 1962

Edmund

I've scanned the family heirloom, part of a 1962 copy of the Star. I've edited it and pulled out the articles I think are of interest, but if anyone sees something on the edges that they want to see in full, just let me know. I'll post articles at intervals.

Does anyone remember "the man in the black homburg"?

See photos of factory built prototype housing on Gloucester Street here:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?searchterms=&action=search&keywords=Keywords%3BCONTAINS%3B%25Gloucester_Street%25%3B

The upper windows look like the ones on the opposite side of the road from those on Vox's google link, though now pebbledashed.

Guest plain talker

Or maybe not.

They don't look the same as these (Page 27)

Doe, R. (1998) Innovation and the construction of homesOCR.pdf

The houses on Gloucester Street are three-bedroomed versions of the Finnegan houses in your photograph. (A friend of mine lives in one)

Like the Finnegans and the Vic hallam, these were also built in the mid 1960s as a solution to the housing shortage.

On the ground floor they are laid out as per the blueprint you reproduce on the left, and are really nice with a MASSIVE full height and pretty much full width window to the front elevation in the living/ dining/ kitchen. (there's a separate living room, too) and the store/ utility room on the back is a real boon.

The difference between these and the Finnegans is that the finnegans (as I said) have just 2 bedrooms, and the gloucester street houses have 3. The GS houses have a staight staircase, where the Finnegans have a dog-legged staircase.

There are four different types of these houses on Golucester street development. there's the ones in the blueprint, there's the ones in the photo that has a garage attached, and a third which is a cross between the two. Then, between GS and Dorset Street, there are some "bungalows". (on the google maps they are the L-shaped properties.)

I believe the general construction of these "prefabs" are the same as the finnegan (I understand the vic hallam houses don't have the metal RSJ deelie between the ground and upper floor) They were also built to last approximately 10/15 years, as per the Finnegans.

and, funnily enough, nearly fifty years on, they are still standing(!)

The houses on Gloucester Street are three-bedroomed versions of the Finnegan houses in your photograph. (A friend of mine lives in one)

Like the Finnegans and the Vic hallam, these were also built in the mid 1960s as a solution to the housing shortage.

On the ground floor they are laid out as per the blueprint you reproduce on the left, and are really nice with a massive full height and pretty much full width window to the front elevation in the living/ dining/ kitchen. (there's a separate living room, too) and the store/ utility room on the back is a real boon.

The difference between these and the Finnegans is that the finnegans (as I said) have just 2 bedrooms, and the gloucester street houses have 3. The GS houses have a staight staircase, where the Finnegans have a dog-legged staircase.

There are four different types of these houses on Golucester street development. there's the ones in the blueprint, there's the ones in the photo that has a garage attached, and a third which is a cross between the two. Then, between GS and Dorset Street, there are some "bungalows". (on the google maps they are the L-shaped properties.)

I believe the general construction of these "prefabs" are the same as the finnegan (I understand the vic hallam houses don't have the metal RSJ deelie between the ground and upper floor) They were also built to last approximately 10/15 years, as per the Finnegans.

On seeing vox's picture I immediately recognised these houses as Finnegans, - similar to those currently coming up for demolition on the Arbourthorne and other estates in Sheffield where they were built around 50 years ago.

However, in the later pictureSheffield images in this topic they look different to what I would expect.

Plaintalker is probably correct in that Finnegans are normally 2 bedroom and Vic Hallams are 3 bedroom and the Gloucester street ones are sort of a combination of the 2 designs, - a finnegan in 3 bedroom guise.

Guest plain talker

also, the picture of the Finnegans used in the brochure isn't Gloucester Street, Though I'm not entirely certain where they are supposed to be. the terrain looks like a cross between back of the Vulcan on Algar and Woodhouse, it's the old Gable peeking above the Finnegan houses that's throwing me..

also, the picture of the Finnegans used in the brochure isn't Gloucester Street, Though I'm not entirely certain where they are supposed to be. the terrain looks like a cross between back of the Vulcan on Algar and Woodhouse, it's the old Gable peeking above the Finnegan houses that's throwing me..

It does look like the Finnegans on the Algars, - an area well known to me, - but those houses in the background are not in the style of the 1930's council housing on the Arbourthorne, - it is not Northern Avenue.

Guest plain talker

On the ground floor they are laid out as per the blueprint you reproduce on the left, and are really nice with a MASSIVE full height and pretty much full width window to the front elevation in the living/ dining/ kitchen. (there's a separate living room, too) and the store/ utility room on the back is a real boon.

there are some similar properties to the Finnegans in l**ds ;) on Woodbridge road (google street map them) with bungalow style properties, too, nearby. there are some on Red Hall Lane, L**ds, but street view shows that some of these flat rooved houses have had pitched rooves installed. these also look nicer than the Woodbridge Road properties, as there has been some refurbishment carried out. Lane end court has flats in the finnegan style! there are also Finnegan style properties on Parigdon Road, Harlow, and leatherby close, Plymouth!

(sorry, I'm an architecture geek! lol)

there are some similar properties to the Finnegans in l**ds ;) on Woodbridge road (google street map them) with bungalow style properties, too, nearby. there are some on Red Hall Lane, L**ds, but street view shows that some of these flat rooved houses have had pitched rooves installed. these also look nicer than the Woodbridge Road properties, as there has been some refurbishment carried out. Lane end court has flats in the finnegan style! there are also Finnegan style properties on Parigdon Road, Harlow, and leatherby close, Plymouth!

(sorry, I'm an architecture geek! lol)

I take it that L**ds is that place about 30 miles north of Sheffield at the end of the M1, the place that thinks it's the most important place in Yorkshire mainly because Yorkshire TV reporters never wander out of its boundaries and so the local news programme "Look North" is actually little more than "Look L**ds"

It's actually Ashby-de-la-Zouch but appalling spelling ...

I take it that L**ds is that place about 30 miles north of Sheffield at the end of the M1, the place that thinks it's the most important place in Yorkshire mainly because Yorkshire TV reporters never wander out of its boundaries and so the local news programme "Look North" is actually little more than "Look L**ds"

I take it that L**ds is that place about 30 miles north of Sheffield at the end of the M1,

For completeness the M1 no longer goes to L**ds, the M1 goes as far as the A1(M) at Aberford :)

What used to be the end section of the M1 into Leeds is now part of the M621

Just clear up a technicality

I remember a few years ago when the floods hit Sheffield and Look L**ds did not even mention them on the day, if that had been L**ds they would have been all over them. it took until the next day for Krista and Harry to get off their backsides and come down and report on what had happened............

For completeness the M1 no longer goes to L**ds, the M1 goes as far as the A1(M) at Aberford :)

What used to be the end section of the M1 into Leeds is now part of the M621

Just clear up a technicality

The M1 should NEVER have ended at L**ds, - who in their right mind wants to go there!

It is best avoided.

They could have saved money by ending the M! at Sheffield.

That's as far north as it needed to go.