Go Jessica Ennis !

RichardB

Can anybody fathom the scoring system? I haven't seen the like since Bill Tidy's folk dancing team, The Cloggies.

Certainly not me, I prefer my description. :P

Thanks Stuart. Now, does anyone understand the Wiki article?

DaveH would have is own interpretation, but he's on holiday with out his laptop

Bicycle race - Omnium, even the guy doing the commentary didn't seem capable of working out who was winning, what the placings were or indeed what was going on !

Attention now seems to be moving towards how the city recognises her achievement. Suggestions so far include renaming Tudor Square, Millenium Square, the Peace Gardens, but more appropriate would be to rename Don Valley Stadium, or at least the main stand, in her honour, or the suggestion of some kind of award for young local athletes.

Much as I admire Jess, I don't think renaming Tudor Square or the Peace Gardens would be appropriate. The Tudor name keeps a local name alive, and the Peace Gardens have their own significance. One or more of the sport related ideas would be more appropriate.

DaveH would have is own interpretation, but he's on holiday with out his laptop

Missed it all as expected, - but was very pleased to hear she had won.

It's strange watching the Olympics on Italian TV.

Apart from the fact that it's all in Italian, which you get used to, it's also live from London BUT they focus and concentrate on their own athletes rather than ours

So very little coverage of Jessica out there.

Her picture has been up in Barkers Pool covering the entire frontage of Cole Brothers for weeks

Here's one I took just before the Olympics started and before I went on holiday

Certainly an improvement; even a view of Bruno's backside would be an improvement.

How about an image from Sheffields past or a tribute to the War dead when the Olympics is over ...

Missed it all as expected, - but was very pleased to hear she had won.

It's strange watching the Olympics on Italian TV.

Apart from the fact that it's all in Italian, which you get used to, it's also live from London BUT they focus and concentrate on their own athletes rather than ours

So very little coverage of Jessica out there.

Her picture has been up in Barkers Pool covering the entire frontage of Cole Brothers for weeks

Here's one I took just before the Olympics started and before I went on holiday

Latest suggestion is a gold painted tram. Could set a new record from Meadowhall to Middlewood?

But would it be the correct shade of Gold, we have seen Stagecoach's repainting before lol

Latest suggestion is a gold painted tram. Could set a new record from Meadowhall to Middlewood?

I'm not in favour of renaming something that already carries a history after anyone as something else is lost in doing this

I'm also not in favour of deliberately building something new and naming it after anyone as this is often a disaster, - like Derek Dooley Way, - which annoyingly cuts straight across The Wicker, - one of Sheffields oldest and most iconic streets.

But I can't help noticing that outside the Town Hall on the stars "walk of fame" there are currently only 17 stars arranged in rows of 3:5::5:4 that looks very unsymetrical. There is definately a vacant place which would even it up at 4:5::5:4.

So, when Jess gets back home from London and has her well deserved civic reception (have they thought of that? what a celebration that could be!) I think her place on the stars outside the Town Hall is already reserved for her.

Congratulations on your gold in the heptathlon Jess, and best wishes on your forthcoming marriage.

One of the existing stars is already hers. That's why they're thinking of something else. I'm sure a civic reception will be the least they can do. It would be interesting to compare the turnout with the celebration of a certain football team's success! ;-)

One of the existing stars is already hers. That's why they're thinking of something else. I'm sure a civic reception will be the least they can do. It would be interesting to compare the turnout with the celebration of a certain football team's success! ;-)

Never noticed she already had a star down already.

To be honest I don't bother looking at them any more.

Still leaves an odd number with associated lack of symmetry, - wonder who will eventually take that space then?

Never noticed she already had a star down already.

To be honest I don't bother looking at them any more.

Still leaves an odd number with associated lack of symmetry, - wonder who will eventually take that space then?

We don't get to town very often these days, but my wife was passing the Town hall the other day, and stopped to look at the stars. She said she felt quite uncomfortable at the funny looks she got from passers-by.

I very much agree with your point about renaming things at the expense of an exisiting name, especially one with historical connotations. I agree too about specially built or newly built things. Fame can be very transient, and naming something after a person just leads to future generations being puzzled at the name.

I think in Jess' case though renaming the Don valley Stadium would be appropriate. It's purpose is appropriate, and it's where she was first introduced to athletics, and where she does most of her training.

The only better idea would be to establish some kind of award to help and encourage gifted but disadvantaged youngsters to get ahead in their chosen field.

We don't get to town very often these days, but my wife was passing the Town hall the other day, and stopped to look at the stars. She said she felt quite uncomfortable at the funny looks she got from passers-by.

I very much agree with your point about renaming things at the expense of an exisiting name, especially one with historical connotations. I agree too about specially built or newly built things. Fame can be very transient, and naming something after a person just leads to future generations being puzzled at the name.

I think in Jess' case though renaming the Don valley Stadium would be appropriate. It's purpose is appropriate, and it's where she was first introduced to athletics, and where she does most of her training.

The only better idea would be to establish some kind of award to help and encourage gifted but disadvantaged youngsters to get ahead in their chosen field.

I would accept either of your proposals here, both are good ideas.

However, I don't think we have any sporting venue dating back to 1981 which honours the achievements of Seb Coe.