All Time Sheffield Xi - Plus A Few Subs....

Blacky

Not sure if this has done before on here but I know its always a topic for discussion between United & Wednesday fans.

So of all the players who have played for both clubs would make up a Sheffield XI?

The idea is that people suggest three nominations for each position from either a Blade or Owl perspective before coming up with a single representative for each club before ultimately trying to come to an "all party" agreement of who makes the cut and wins a place in the final eleven or on the subs bench.

To keep things simple I think we should stick to a 442 formation with five subs made up of a goalie and any other four positions.

I'll kick things of - hopefully others will be interested enough to join in.....

GOALKEEPERS (Sheffield Utd FC)

1. William "Fatty" Foulke

One of the most legendary keepers to have ever played for the Blades Foulke played over 350 games for United between 1894 & 1905. The only United goalie to win a league championship he also won the FA cup twice whilst with the club.

2. Alan Hodgkinson

With over 570 games no goalkeeper has played more for United. Hodgkinson debut came in 1954 and he continued to play until 1971 when he was replaced by John Hope. During his career with the Blades he won promotion in 1961 and also won five full England caps.

3. Alan Kelly

Hard to choose between Alan Kelly & Simon Tracey for the last spot but have plumped for Kelly. Signed in 1992 he played over 200 games for United. Kelly will always be remembered by both sides of the city in keeping Wednesday at bay until extra time in the all Sheffield FA Cup semi final at Wembley.

Well, they're my three United nominations for the number one spot. Feel free to offer any more nominations for either club and we'll take it from there....

The obvious Wednesday contenders for the no.1 jersey are Ron Springett and Kevin Pressman, both hugely popular with the fans. Springett was an England regular, don't know if KP ever played for his country.

I think, by virtue of his international record, Ron Springett should get no.1 with Alan Hodgkinson sub.

Both were legends of the game when I was a fan in the 60's

I agree with Ron Springett (he was also the community bobby at Bramall Lane in the 80s - so a United connection as well)

However out of the three United keepers I would probably go with old fatty Foulke as my number one - Its always hard to compare players from different era's but the fact that he is the only Blades keeper with a league championship medal along with his legendary status would just about sway it for me.

So nominees thus far for the position of goalkeeper are:

William Foulke (United)

Alan Hodgkinson (United)

Ron Springett (Wednesday)

Kevin Pressman (wednesday)

Anyone want to second any of the above or maybe come up with someone else?

Full-backs next.........

Guest clivenicholson

Foulke has been over-rated by historians. He was more famous than he was brilliant. His only international cap came because the match was at Bramall Lane. Picking a player from a local club was usually done to attract bigger crowds to international fixtures.

There is little doubt that Foulke was a very good keeper, but he will not be the best keeper to have played in Sheffield.

I agree with Ron Springett (he was also the community bobby at Bramall Lane in the 80s - so a United connection as well)

However out of the three United keepers I would probably go with old fatty Foulke as my number one - Its always hard to compare players from different era's but the fact that he is the only Blades keeper with a league championship medal along with his legendary status would just about sway it for me.

So nominees thus far for the position of goalkeeper are:

William Foulke (United)

Alan Hodgkinson (United)

Ron Springett (Wednesday)

Kevin Pressman (wednesday)

Anyone want to second any of the above or maybe come up with someone else?

Full-backs next.........

I only saw Kevin Pressman but Ron's record speaks for itself and was it 33 England caps and but for Gordon Banks would have played in the 1966 World Cup Finals.

And yes it was Peter who was the Community Policeman - I think Wednesday did a swap and Ron replaced Peter at QPR and vice versa.

Am I getting my Springetts mixed up? sorry.

With Ron being the only keeper with a world cup winners medal i guess it would be hard to look past him wouldn't it?

So does anyone have any objections to having him as our number one with maybe Foulkes or Hodgkinson as our reserve?