Bert Weedon's "play In A Day"

Waterside Echo

Sorry to hear about the death today of Bert Weedon. I remember buying his book "Play in a day" from Phillip Cann's in the early 60s, I tried, but nothing came of it though. I wonder how many Sheffield guitarists over the years started out with Berts help? W/E.

Sorry to hear about the death today of Bert Weedon. I remember buying his book "Play in a day" from Phillip Cann's in the early 60s, I tried, but nothing came of it though. I wonder how many Sheffield guitarists over the years started out with Berts help? W/E.

That sounds a familiar story W/E. I remember having a copy, it must have been about sixth-hand, and neither I nor its previous owners ever got very far!

Bert Weedon's "Play in a day", joking reffered to as "Play with yourself in a day" (it was after all for solo guitar playing, unaccompanied) is a classic work. Although you could do a different exercise every day if you wanted you wouldn't be able to play the guitar fluently in a day as the title may, misleadingly, imply. It was a complete guitar course and soon got quite advanced and ambitious in what you were expected to play.

As a result, many top guitarists rated it, used it and started with it. Very few completed it or used all of it.

I had a copy but, like Bayleaf, never got very far.

I still have my (Dad's) 1958 copy, it's somewhat battered and well thumbed. I passed on my own 1967 copy to my niece some years ago.

RIP Bert.

have to hold my hands up to this one n'all , mines been in cubby hole for 20 odd yrs .. along with my guitar :)

Guest carolgreen270

=====================================

Post merged,

SHB.

Just read Joe Brown's autobiography on holiday - extract below about Bert Weedon (Nuggy McGrath was an Irish promoter):

It's because of Nuggy that Bert Weedon, to this day, still believes in The Little People. What he doesn't know is that Nuggy set him up. Nuggy, you see, had this friend who was a midget, and this midget had a leprechaun's outfit, a little green suit with a green bowler hat, funny shoes with brass buckles, and an enormous shillelagh. The trick was that Nuggy would wind up all the visiting personalities by telling them stories about "The Wee Folk". Then, usually on the way home from a gig, Nuggy would flash his headlights at a pre-arranged spot and out into the road would run the little fellow. He had it down to a fine art, staying in the headlights just long enough without overdoing it. So convinced was Bert that if you mention The Little People to him now he simply gives a knowing wink.