Leyburn Road

Guest Diamond Dog

Guest Diamond Dog

HI All

Was just looking at Leyburn Road which runs from Abbeydale Road down to a dead end at the Sheaf.

I saw that on one of my older MapInfo overlays, a piece of road directly opposite, across the Sheaf (on the South side), was labelled Leyburn Road. So it looks as if Leyburn Road originally crossed the river, connecting Abbeydale Road and Little London Road. If that's right it would have come across about where the new industrial / commercial units are on Broadfield Close.

I've looked at a few maps but can't see one with the connection - might it have gone across, perhaps been a ford rather than a bridge? When was it stopped up?

Or has someone simply labelled up the map layer incorrectly and made it look as if it went across?

Renamed at some time, it was called Stanhope Road on a 1903 map,

and was still Stanhope Rd. until 1923.

Guest Diamond Dog

HI All, thanks for not thinking I'm a numpty! The 1903 map is one I have with Stanhope Road etc - there's another Stanhope Road in Sheffield (Birley area) so they were probably happy to rename it.

But on your 1923 map it still seems credible that the route traversed the river.

I'm really sorry I don't know what year the files show; are there any landmark sort of things to see? I've copied a clip of it with Bernard Road on it that shows the tram tracks and a park and ride so must post date the tram (1994-5) although obviously the map makers may have anticipated it.

The more I look at this the more I think the cartographer might have had a bad day! I'm going to pop down and have a look across - from memory it's a very unlikely thing.

Welcome to SheffieldHistory Diamond Dog.

This section taken from a1988 map shows Leyburn Road named on both sides of the river.

The otherside of the river has recently been redeveloped, with modern Business units on Broadfield Close, no sign of the old rd

However from the road bridge on Bradfield Way, there looks like there is a weir somewhere near the end of Leyburn Rd, may be worth an exploration on foot.

there is a wier directly opposite the end of leyburn road. ( i work in teh new unit & my desk is right next to it )

its definitely man made as its made of large corrugated iron pieces ( the kind where each corrugation is a casting in itself ) there is a gate on the far side of the waste land that corresponds to the old entrance from little London road too

there is a wier directly opposite the end of leyburn road. ( i work in teh new unit & my desk is right next to it )

its definitely man made as its made of large corrugated iron pieces ( the kind where each corrugation is a casting in itself ) there is a gate on the far side of the waste land that corresponds to the old entrance from little London road too

Thanks bbw,

and welcome to SheffieldHistory.