Whats In Your Loft ?

Waterside Echo

While enjoying "GillMar's" topic on Al Read it got me thinking of all the radio comedy shows I enjoyed in the 1950s and 60s. In those days reel to reel tape recorders were a cheap way of building up a pop record collection [ supposed to be illegal even then] and I would sometimes record the popular comedy shows of that time also. I have cherished that recorder and those tapes for nearly half a century now so I thought it was time to dust them off and see what was what. Most of the pop music is from the early 60s along with The Clitheroe Kid, Ken Dodd, Hancock's half hour and Round the Horne, I have even found a recording of the last 45 minutes of the SWFC cup-final of 1966. The tapes are now very brittle after all these years and my old tape recorder has seen better days so I may have to pay eBay a visit, though as it is a 3-speed they may be now few and far between.. Well it is going on for 2.30 am now and Ken Dodd and "where's mi shirt" is just about to finish, so goodnight all and watch out for those spider's webs. W/E.

You ought to check that the BBC are not "missing" any of the shows that you recorded. I have read before that they managed to wipe or throw away a lot of classic episodes of the best programmes and some have only been found since because of naughty people like you! lol

Well it is going on for 2.30 am now and Ken Dodd and "where's mi shirt" is just about to finish, so goodnight all and watch out for those spider's webs. W/E.

Thank you WE

I drive my wife mad by going around saying "where's mi shirt" in a funny voice. I've been racking my brains trying to remember which programme I used to hear it on.

My wife's family's choice of stations were The Third Programme and The Home Service 'so she's no idea what I'm on about

Another mystery solved by Sheffield History.

HD

Thank you WE

I drive my wife mad by going around saying "where's mi shirt" in a funny voice. I've been racking my brains trying to remember which programme I used to hear it on.

My wife's family's choice of stations were The Third Programme and The Home Service 'so she's no idea what I'm on about

HD

Here you go HD, instant culture!

]

Thank you WE

HD

Was'n't the saying "where's mi shirt" also regularly used by Danny Ross who played Alfie Hall who was Jimmy Clitheroe's sisters boyfriend in The Clitheroe Kid?

You ought to check that the BBC are not "missing" any of the shows that you recorded. I have read before that they managed to wipe or throw away a lot of classic episodes of the best programmes and some have only been found since because of naughty people like you! lol

The BBC have published a list of the classic shows they have lost over the years and are keen to trace existing copies of.

Some details can be found here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/treasurehunt/missing/index.shtml

The tapes are now very brittle after all these years and my old tape recorder has seen better days so I may have to pay eBay a visit, though as it is a 3-speed they may be now few and far between..

Sort of thing that interests me and hilldweller with old electronic devices.

What make and model of tape recorder are we talking about here?

Was'n't the saying "where's mi shirt" also regularly used by Danny Ross who played Alfie Hall who was Jimmy Clitheroe's sisters boyfriend in The Clitheroe Kid?

I remember someone having that saying in the early 70s, he was a standup comedien but I can't remember who it was.

He used to say " where's mi shirt, I'm a shirt short " Who was it ?

Sort of thing that interests me and hilldweller with old electronic devices.

What make and model of tape recorder are we talking about here?

Sony Model 101 2-speed, 4 transistors and 2 tubes, 1960s vintage in top condition. 3 speed is a EMI 1966 vintage on its last legs. W/E.

I remember someone having that saying in the early 70s, he was a standup comedien but I can't remember who it was.

He used to say " where's mi shirt, I'm a shirt short " Who was it ?

Wasn't it Ken Dodd? Although now I'm mixing Ken Dodd with Ken Platt and Ken Platt with Al Read and now I don't think I can remember Ken Platt apart from "I won't take me coat off..."

Wasn't it Ken Dodd? Although now I'm mixing Ken Dodd with Ken Platt and Ken Platt with Al Read and now I don't think I can remember Ken Platt apart from "I won't take me coat off..."

Have a look at post 4 above gillmar!

Sony Model 101 2-speed, 4 transistors and 2 tubes, 1960s vintage in top condition. 3 speed is a EMI 1966 vintage on its last legs. W/E.

Most reel to reel tape recorders which were common in the 1960's were usually Phillips or Grundig.

Sony was one of the first Japanese entries into this market and many of their early machines were quite primitive by contemporary standards

It seems that the 101 is still quite a common model though

The EMI is a different thing altogether, much rarer as a domestic machine and better known for its recording studio professional equipment.

EMI studios at Abbey Road was fully equipped with EMI studio recorders, and all The Beatles records were made on it.

What a pity that the better machine of the two is the one in poorest condition.

Chaucer Yearbook up there somewhere.

No ! I exhausted that possibility many years ago, 1985 to be precise, I spent a whole day looking for that Yearbook after spending one Saturday afternoon in the original 1958 Chaucer building. I could not believe the filthy broken down state it was in. Those buildings had been up for just 27 years and how they had been allowed to get in the condition they were in was criminal. My mind went back to our first days there in 1958 and the excellent photos in that book, and how proud we all were of our new school. Happy days. W/E.

Lots and lots of vinyl up there - 7" singles.

A good mixture Richard of 33s, 45s, and 78s. Earliest 45, Deck of cards, Wink Martindale. Latest Blasphemous Rumours, depeche MODE. W/E.

No ! I exhausted that possibility many years ago, 1985 to be precise, I spent a whole day looking for that Yearbook after spending one Saturday afternoon in the original 1958 Chaucer building. I could not believe the filthy broken down state it was in. Those buildings had been up for just 27 years and how they had been allowed to get in the condition they were in was criminal. My mind went back to our first days there in 1958 and the excellent photos in that book, and how proud we all were of our new school. Happy days. W/E.

I had a look round too in the late 80s, I was shocked too. Scruffy came to mind.

I was asked if I would like to meet one of the original teachers still there [ Mr Dowson ]

I declined and left.

A good mixture Richard of 33s, 45s, and 78s. Earliest 45, Deck of cards, Wink Martindale. Latest Blasphemous Rumours, depeche MODE. W/E.

Now, did Wink Martindale in "Deck of Cards" say "..and one private took out his cards..." or was it "...and one card took out his privates..."? lol

You never said what the oldest and newest 78's were.

That could be a lot more interesting to us old 'uns

Now, did Wink Martindale in "Deck of Cards" say "..and one private took out his cards..." or was it "...and one card took out his privates..."? lol

You've been listening to that Mike Harding haven't you... ;-)

I've got a load of Phil Harris's 78's from the 50's.

Woodman spare that tree, Dark Town Poker Club etc. - Love em.

"Spare that tree" is an absolute classic, one of my all time favourites W/E."

You've been listening to that Mike Harding haven't you... ;-)

Yes I have listened to Mike Hardings 1975 LP "Mrs. Hardings Kid" where he comes out with that joke based on Wink Martindales "lyrics" (if you can call them lyrics in what is essentially a spoken word record)

However, I think the actual joke goes back before that, the Wink Martindale record dates back to the 1963 UK charts, but was released in 1959 in his native USA. The song / monologue is much older than that, having being recorded by Tex Tyler in 1948. The actual words date back to 1762 according to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deck_of_Cards

Surely in 250 years someone must have thought of Mike Hardings one line gag based on these words a long time ago.