Can Anyone Help With Where This Photo Was Taken?

Guest markl

Hello there...

This photo was found among my grandfather's things. No-one in the family recognises where it was taken or indeed anyone in it (I've studied it, I don't think he's there...) It's a grainy old photo but the building behind with the circular window above the door might be familiar to someone?

Thanks

Hello there...

This photo was found among my grandfather's things. No-one in the family recognises where it was taken or indeed anyone in it (I've studied it, I don't think he's there...) It's a grainy old photo but the building behind with the circular window above the door might be familiar to someone?

Thanks

Looks like a photograph outside a steelworks?

No I don't know. Well I do in that later in life he worked at Gilders (car dealership) but no knowledge of any 'industrial' jobs. It's possible if it was either just pre or post war he did have another job, short term. Or it's possible that it's another relation who's in it, his father for example... although he died in the 1920s.

On the far left hand side above the man in suit and tie's head is a word that I can't make out but it has a k in it possibly ck...

I might be better looking at it in daylight tomorrow unless anybody can bring it up clearer. I notice that a lot of men are wearing sweat scarves favoured by steel works but my Grandad wore one for work on the railway. A lot of the men are also dressed very smartly.

Making no claims whatsoever ... http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29c02488%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUVudHJhbmNlcyUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZwYWdlPTg=

Flat arched entrance, half round window, another curved lintel to the right ... for discussion only. Don't flame me - just looking ...

Yes, looking at the original photo they look more like grooves than tracks, maybe for pushing some sort of carts along? On the original they look almost more like tramlines than railway tracks. We've since found evidence that he possibly worked for a short while at George Seniors? Is this possibly George Seniors?

Dark ! http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29s03506%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXNlbmlvciUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5E

Yes, looking at the original photo they look more like grooves than tracks, maybe for pushing some sort of carts along? On the original they look almost more like tramlines than railway tracks. We've since found evidence that he possibly worked for a short while at George Seniors? Is this possibly George Seniors?

Not much use, other than showing the location. http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29v03583%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOXNlbmlvciUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZvcGVyYXRpb249QU5EJnBhZ2U9Nw==

They look rather like railway lines set into the ground, which were common in works yards I think where other traffic was about. Any of our transport buffs like to comment on the gauge?

About a size "B", I'd say.

I'll get mi coat ...

They look rather like railway lines set into the ground, which were common in works yards I think where other traffic was about. Any of our transport buffs like to comment on the gauge?

The guage looks a bit wide to me, if you consider the number of men sat between the rails, but they are not large men.

Standard Guage (4' 8 1/2") would have been very common in all large works.

Not sure if wider guage would be present in local works.

Said they were "B" which as any transport expert knows stands for "Big (not very)" i.e. standard. Any more transport questions, I'm always ready ... lol

The guage looks a bit wide to me, if you consider the number of men sat between the rails, but they are not large men.

Standard Guage (4' 8 1/2") would have been very common in all large works.

Not sure if wider guage would be present in local works.