Sheffield United V Sheffield Wednesday 1914

Stuart0742

Wilfred Walter Axe, Decorator, 96 Machon Bank Road. 1911, 1919 and 1925 (W W Axe and Son in 1925)

Previously Painter and Paperhanger of 10 Herschell Road (1905)

On the 5th of September 1914 just weeks after the start of WW1, Sheffield United played Sheffield Wednesday at Bramall Lane.

Over the next 16 days, running up to Christmas, the full programme will be posted. A sort of Advent calendar with no chocolates.

So Day 1

Henry Adams (& Son), Branch Managers, Refuge Assurance Co. Ltd., 80 Pinstone Street (Kelly's 1893)

Ernest Adams, Branch Manager to the Refuge Assurance Co Limited, 80 Pinstone Street (Kelly's 1893)

Mr. Gladstone Adams, District Manager Refuge Assurance, 121 Norfolk Street (White's 1911)

Mr. Ernest Adams, District Manager, Refuge Assurance Co. Ltd., 121 Norfolk Street; h. Crabtree Lodge, Barnsley Rd (White's 1911)

Day 2

George Waller, Athletic outfitter, 90 Bramall Lane; home 27 Nether Edge Road White's 1905

George Waller, Athletic outfitter, 90 Bramall Lane; home 27 Nether Edge Road White's 1911

George Utley, Athletic outfitter, 90 Bramall Lane White's 1919

George Waller, Trainer to Sheffield United Football Club, 13 Dalewood Avenue, Beauchief Kelly's 1925

George Utley, Trainer to Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, 245 Middlewood Road, Hillsborough Kelly's 1925

Day 3

George Waller is listed in the 1911 Census as a Fortball Famer - which is nice.

George Waller, Athletic outfitter, 90 Bramall Lane; home 27 Nether Edge Road White's 1905

George Waller, Athletic outfitter, 90 Bramall Lane; home 27 Nether Edge Road White's 1911

George Waller, Trainer to Sheffield United Football Club, 13 Dalewood Avenue, Beauchief Kelly's 1925

George Waller is listed in the 1911 Census as a Fortball Famer - which is nice.

Doesn't it say Football Trainer Richard?

Not according to the transcription !

I have noticed loads(more than normal) of transcribing errors with my own family on the 1911 Census on Ancestry. I wonder who they paid a pittance to do it? :wub:

A booze advert and a plea for employment for all with prices lowered in desperation; not much changes then ?

Day 4

Not a lot of football today chaps

Hopefully some expert can fill in the results.

It is a pity that it was only the second game of the season. Empty results grids are not very appealing.

Does this mean Christmas 2011 is brought forward a la Dr. Who ?

Day 5 Today's installment

and tomorrow's, because today's looks uninteresting

Day 9

Some of those revised laws were still the same (although worded differently) when I qualified as a referee in 1996. Thankfully the law on charging had been changed by then. I find it interesting that some of these changes only came in in 1915 and not earlier.

and we need the result of the Sunderland game - "The Bank of England Club" at the time - more details on that sought.

Wednesday 2nd September 1914: Sunderland 3 -2 Sheffield United.

Both United and Wednesday finished above Sunderland at the end of the season.