Sheffield United V Sheffield Wednesday 1914

Stuart0742

On the 5th of September 1914 just weeks after the start of WW1, Sheffield United played Sheffield Wednesday at Bramall Lane.

Over the next 16 days, running up to Christmas, the full programme will be posted. A sort of Advent calendar with no chocolates.

So Day 1

A December 1914 programme from Sheffield United is for sale at £300; somewhat better condition mind you. But, many, many times the price and surely less desirable than an earlier, Derby game.

Not bad on here for now't.

On the 5th of September 1914 just weeks after the start of WW1, Sheffield United played Sheffield Wednesday at Bramall Lane.

Over the next 16 days, running up to Christmas, the full programme will be posted. A sort of Advent calendar with no chocolates.

So Day 1

That's fascinating to see thanks. For the record Wednesday won 1-0 with a goal from Wilson and the attendance was 25,000. :)

United finished in 6th that season one place above Wednesday by a goal difference of 1 , both finishing on 43 points!

That's fascinating to see thanks. For the record Wednesday won 1-0 with a goal from Wilson and the attendance was 25,000. :)

United finished in 6th that season one place above Wednesday by a goal difference of 1 , both finishing on 43 points!

mmm

wikipedia says it was 2 - 0, so just proves that wiki can be wrong (as we all new), as I am sure Dunsby is correct

http://en.wikipedia....ted_F.C._season

Thus far, we've no idea from the document, who they are playing.

Strange, I'm sure it will be mentioned soon

The team sheet is on page 15

It looks like advertising was just as important in 1914 then in the present day

I have a premonition about page 6 ...

Strange, I'm sure it will be mentioned soon

The team sheet is on page 15

It looks like advertising was just as important in 1914 then in the present day

Reasonable question - when did the format start ? how long did United use that design ?

Not very tall,were they ?

By comparison - 7 of the United starting eleven yesterday were 6 foot or over!

I'm sure I read that the working classes were generally very undernourished in 1914 and after joining up it was the first time many had had a half decent diet in their young lives.

Simonsen 6 2

Lowton 5 11

Jean-Francois 6 2

Doyle 5 10

Evans 6 0

Williamson 5 10

Collins 6 3

Cresswell 6 0

Maguire 6 2

McDonald 6 2

Quinn 5 6

Reasonable question - when did the format start ? how long did United use that design ?

From what I understand the first United programme appeared during the championship season of 1897/98 and i dont think the format changed all that much for the next thirty years or so.

Before that I believe clubs produced single sheet score cards - which are now as common as hens teeth! (a sinlge sheet 1889 FA Cup final one went for over £20,000 in 2006.

Well, I'm not buying one of them ! Under £10 for a1914 programme for a team I don't support I can manage; £20,000 the Tinywifelette would have me guts for garters.

From what I understand the first United programme appeared during the championship season of 1897/98 and i dont think the format changed all that much for the next thirty years or so.

Before that I believe clubs produced single sheet score cards - which are now as common as hens teeth! (a sinlge sheet 1889 FA Cup final one went for over £20,000 in 2006.

All of which means we need a link to William Ffoulkes or however it was spelled.

By comparison - 7 of the United starting eleven yesterday were 6 foot or over!

I'm sure I read that the working classes were generally very undernourished in 1914 and after joining up it was the first time many had had a half decent diet in their young lives.

Simonsen 6 2

Lowton 5 11

Jean-Francois 6 2

Doyle 5 10

Evans 6 0

Williamson 5 10

Collins 6 3

Cresswell 6 0

Maguire 6 2

McDonald 6 2

Quinn 5 6

Well, I'm not buying one of them ! Under £10 for a1914 programme for a team I don't support I can manage; £20,000 the Tinywifelette would have me guts for garters.

hehe!

I know what you mean - i'd be walking round Morrisons and realise that the shopping list was on the back of it!!! tsk!