Maps Back As Far As 1853

Edmund

I've just found a very useful website which shows maps of various scales and dates from 1853 to present, and thought I'd like to share it. The address is www.old-maps.co.uk.

You need to click on the modern map to indicate where your interest is and centre the map, then select the date and scale of the map you want to see (central Sheffield has 1853, 1855, 1882, 1890, 1894, 1905, 1923, 1935, 1955, 1968, 1981 and at various scales, down to 1:1056 which shows for example lamp posts and pumps.) You can get it to show 'full screen' and cut and paste it into, say, 'MSPaint' for printing. Going through the dates can show when something was built or demolished.

The only downsides are that it is a little slow, and the 'old-maps' logo is across it all, as they want to sell maps.

Hope it's useful

Ted

I've just found a very useful website which shows maps of various scales and dates from 1853 to present, and thought I'd like to share it. The address is www.old-maps.co.uk.

You need to click on the modern map to indicate where your interest is and centre the map, then select the date and scale of the map you want to see (central Sheffield has 1853, 1855, 1882, 1890, 1894, 1905, 1923, 1935, 1955, 1968, 1981 and at various scales, down to 1:1056 which shows for example lamp posts and pumps.) You can get it to show 'full screen' and cut and paste it into, say, 'MSPaint' for printing. Going through the dates can show when something was built or demolished.

The only downsides are that it is a little slow, and the 'old-maps' logo is across it all, as they want to sell maps.

Hope it's useful

Ted

Thank you Ted, will try that.

The operators of this historical map archive have withdrawn the facility to zoom in, so making the larger scale maps on the site virtually useless. I have left a complaint via their 'Contact Us' page, but no reply yet.

If you have found the site useful in the past, could I suggest that a flood (or even a trickle) of complaints might get the zoom-in facility reinstated.

The operators of this historical map archive have withdrawn the facility to zoom in, so making the larger scale maps on the site virtually useless. I have left a complaint via their 'Contact Us' page, but no reply yet.

If you have found the site useful in the past, could I suggest that a flood (or even a trickle) of complaints might get the zoom-in facility reinstated.

Noticed the change a few days ago, thinking that it may have been temporary.

:(