Municipal Inn Burgoyne Road

popt

Has anyone any information on the Municipal Inn, such as linnkeepers, regulars, characters who drank at this old pub etc.

I am doing some family research and I believe they used the pub in the 1920-30's.

Any Info Appreciated.

PopT

Has anyone any information on the Municipal Inn, such as linnkeepers, regulars, characters who drank at this old pub etc.

I am doing some family research and I believe they used the pub in the 1920-30's.

Any Info Appreciated.

PopT

I've not come across this one going through all my data from 1825 to 1948 .

we have only one landlord down for this pub in 1881 which suggests it could be a beerhouse.

I know Burgoyne Road but I can't remember this pub, do you have any idea when it closed?

Here's a quote from SF

I used to live at 310 Burgoyne Road during the mid to late eightees, it was a really unique house which as i understand had been a shop and a pub in years previous, i think the name of the pub was The Municipal Arms. There was also some reference to Frank Mooney as his name was wrote in concrete above the back porch door.

So if that's correct, it's this one -

Google Streetview

John Hall, Beer retailer, 310 Burgoyne Road Kelly's 1893

William Goodison, Beer retailer, 310 Burgoyne Road White's 1905

William Goodison, Beer retailer, 310 Burgoyne Road White's 1911

Newman Booth, Beerhouse, 310 Burgoyne Road White's 1919

Arthur Haywood, Beer retailer, 310 Burgoyne Road Kelly's 1925

No mention of Municipal mind you ... Beerhouse in 1919.

I've not come across this one going through all my data from 1825 to 1948 .

Hi Vox

Yes that's the place in your photograph.

I was told one of the Mooney family ran the pub and so it was interesting to read that Frank Mooney's name was outside the pub.

An elderly local did tell me the pub was quite lively with some interesting characters drinking there.

My relation was a Bookie in the Burgoyne Road area and was involved with members of the Mooney gang.

As part of our family history I am trying to find out about his activities in the Burgoyne Road area and the local people.

It was interesting to read that you had lived at 310 Burgoyne Road at one time.

In the book, A Corner of Every Street the position of the Municipal Inn is marked in the wrong position on the map.

I have no idea when the pub closed, maybe someone else can let us know.

Happy Days! PopT

Hi Vox

It was interesting to read that you had lived at 310 Burgoyne Road at one time.

I didn't live there Pop. That was a quote from someone on the other Sheffield forum.

Here's a quote from SF

I used to live at 310 Burgoyne Road during the mid to late eightees, it was a really unique house which as i understand had been a shop and a pub in years previous, i think the name of the pub was The Municipal Arms. There was also some reference to Frank Mooney as his name was wrote in concrete above the back porch door.

So if that's correct, it's this one -

Google Streetview

Whites

1931 . 310 Burgoyne Road . Mrs Mary G Senior , beer retailer

1951 . 310 Burgoyne Road. James Stokes , hardware dealer.

1969 . 310 Burgoyne Road. F W Mooney. grocers.

1971 310 Burgoyne Road. F W Mooney , grocers.

1974 . 310 Burgoyne Road . P F Mooney . Plumber

1981 310 Burgoyne Road. P F Mooney. Plumber.

Still no mention of the Municipal.

Do you think they did their drinking behind closed doors and curtains like they used to do

after 10-30pm. All the doors were locked and curtains closed and then the after time drinking began.

Great stuff. lol

1957 Kelly's - 301 Burgoyne Road, F & W Mooney, grocers.

Note F & W ...

Whites

1931 . 310 Burgoyne Road . Mrs Mary G Senior , beer retailer

1951 . 310 Burgoyne Road. James Stokes , hardware dealer.

1969 . 310 Burgoyne Road. F W Mooney. grocers.

1971 310 Burgoyne Road. F W Mooney , grocers.

1974 . 310 Burgoyne Road . P F Mooney . Plumber

1981 310 Burgoyne Road. P F Mooney. Plumber.

Still no mention of the Municipal.

Do you think they did their drinking behind closed doors and curtains like they used to do

after 10-30pm. All the doors were locked and curtains closed and then the after time drinking began.

Great stuff. lol

The Nottingham Ancient Imperial United Order of Oddfellow (N.A.I.U.O.O.F.) were based at the Municipal Inn in 1866. By 1874 the order had 40,000 members and 574 Lodges (43 in Yorkshire). Due to the control of the society being highly centralised in Nottingham, there had been a split which created the British United Oddfellows, which had a strong membership in Sheffield