Putter Together

RichardB

I think this means that he assembles the finished product from its manufactured component parts.

He "puts it together"

It refers to putting the two pieces of a pair of Scissors together.

Could be,

I do have some ancestors who were scissor makers (Lloyd Wainwright, 1855 - 1937) in my family tree, but I have never really looked in detail about how they are made.

Or could it also mean putting the handles onto the knives and the forks

as it also said cutler.

as it also said cutler.

Technically speaking scissors are cutlery.

I thought that people who fitted (non metallic) handles to a tang on a knife or fork had a special name to describe their job.

I've forgotten what it is, but I am fairly sure it wasn't "putter together"

Guest binsted71

as it also said cutler.

I thought that 'Table Knife Hafters' fitted the handles to knives.

I thought that 'Table Knife Hafters' fitted the handles to knives.

Thanks Binsted71,

Hafter was the word I was grovelling for.

A hafter is a handle fitter.

Take it from me having worked in the Scissor trade for a year or so, my earlier post describes the job of "putting to-gether" putting handles on knives is either "Hafting or Sauerising" depending on the type of handle being married to a blade or round tang fork & spoon.

Take it from me having worked in the Scissor trade for a year or so, my earlier post describes the job of "putting to-gether" putting handles on knives is either "Hafting or Sauerising" depending on the type of handle being married to a blade or round tang fork & spoon.

Never doubted it tozzin, it sounded like a perfect description of making a PAIR of scissors into A scissors to me.

Now, when I hand out my block of 40 pairs of paper scissors in my job as schoolteacher to do a "cut and stick" worksheet I seem to have an inordinate number of pairs of left handed scissors to right handed, - proportionately far more left handed pairs of scissors than there are left handed people in the class.

The students moan endlessly about having to "cack - handed pairs" and blame their poor cutting out skills on the scissors, - just as any poor workman always blames his tools.

However, when I use them, and I am right handed, I see little problem. OK, so the cutting edge above the paper is facing away from me rather than towards me, but I seem to be able to manage.

Now to assemble, sorry, to "putter together" a left handed pair, would involve using scissor blades ground on the opposite side, and possibly reshaping of the finger holes in the handles (depending on their design and style). I don't know if the central pivot pin would have to be put in from the other side by the "putter together" to hold it together as in many scissors this appears to be a rivet like piece.

When

Never doubted it tozzin, it sounded like a perfect description of making a PAIR of scissors into A scissors to me.

Now, when I hand out my block of 40 pairs of paper scissors in my job as schoolteacher to do a "cut and stick" worksheet I seem to have an inordinate number of pairs of left handed scissors to right handed, - proportionately far more left handed pairs of scissors than there are left handed people in the class.

The students moan endlessly about having to "cack - handed pairs" and blame their poor cutting out skills on the scissors, - just as any poor workman always blames his tools.

However, when I use them, and I am right handed, I see little problem. OK, so the cutting edge above the paper is facing away from me rather than towards me, but I seem to be able to manage.

Now to assemble, sorry, to "putter together" a left handed pair, would involve using scissor blades ground on the opposite side, and possibly reshaping of the finger holes in the handles (depending on their design and style). I don't know if the central pivot pin would have to be put in from the other side by the "putter together" to hold it together as in many scissors this appears to be a rivet like piece.

The proper term for as you call them finger holes are "Bows" but if you havent worked in the trade you wouldnt know that but to compensate you could say five Our Fathers and seven Hail Marys!

When Scissors are being processed obviously they are still in their single status as a half, so to carry them from operator to operator they are put on what I can only describe as a large skewer around 2ft in length and these skewers are just called sticks, so if ever you hear the term a " stick of scissors" this is what it means.

The proper term for as you call them finger holes are "Bows" but if you havent worked in the trade you wouldnt know that but to compensate you could say five Our Fathers and seven Hail Marys!

When Scissors are being processed obviously they are still in their single status as a half, so to carry them from operator to operator they are put on what I can only describe as a large skewer around 2ft in length and these skewers are just called sticks, so if ever you hear the term a " stick of scissors" this is what it means.

Thanks tozzin, I am learning a lot of interesting stuff from this topic, and having scissormaker ancestors I am sure all this will come in useful to me.

The finger holes (Bows) appear to be very symetrical on small pairs of scissors so they would be the same on both left and right hand pairs.

However, on larger pairs they are not the same, - after all the upper one, as held, is designed to take a thumb rather than a finger and this would make left hand pairs very different to right handed pairs.

If I remember rightly from my years a Surmanco, Dave, it isn't only the grips which make a pair of scissors Left or Right Handed Dave.

Left handed shears work the opposite way round to Right handed ones.

This is because the pressure of the thumb (in an inwards direction) tends to close the cutting edges together on the correct handed shear.

When using the wrong handed pair, the blades have a tendency to be spread apart.

Not so noticeable when cutting thin paper etc, but it makes a lot of difference as the material being cut becomes thicker.

Look carefully at the way the 2 pairs are assembled.

Thanks tozzin, I am learning a lot of interesting stuff from this topic, and having scissormaker ancestors I am sure all this will come in useful to me.

The finger holes (Bows) appear to be very symetrical on small pairs of scissors so they would be the same on both left and right hand pairs.

However, on larger pairs they are not the same, - after all the upper one, as held, is designed to take a thumb rather than a finger and this would make left hand pairs very different to right handed pairs.

The bigger the Bows the heavier material to be cut.

If I remember rightly from my years a Surmanco, Dave, it isn't only the grips which make a pair of scissors Left or Right Handed Dave.

Left handed shears work the opposite way round to Right handed ones.

This is because the pressure of the thumb (in an inwards direction) tends to close the cutting edges together on the correct handed shear.

When using the wrong handed pair, the blades have a tendency to be spread apart.

Not so noticeable when cutting thin paper etc, but it makes a lot of difference as the material being cut becomes thicker.

Look carefully at the way the 2 pairs are assembled.

Thanks vox, I was aware of that, and had tried to indicate it slightly differently in my previous post like this, -

(quote from post #10)

Now, that's how it appears to me, but it may not be quite right.

I take the point about the forces trying to pull the scissors apart if you use the wrong pair, but in school we rarely cut anything thicker than thin card anyway so it would hardly be noticable.

We also have sets of scissors for "bad classes" which are deliberately blunt and have very rounded tips wioth no sharp edges. It prevents them stabbing someone or from trying to cut their hair, nails or clothes.

but in school we rarely cut anything thicker than thin card anyway so it would hardly be noticable.

We also have sets of scissors for "bad classes" which are deliberately blunt and have very rounded tips wioth no sharp edges. It prevents them stabbing someone or from trying to cut their hair, nails or clothes.

Well actually we have a biology teacher in our department who is very well trained in the art of dissection and anatomy. She is a dab hand at cutting all sorts of biological specimens with just a pair of scissors (the right type of course) and producing a specimen that could go straight onto a microscope slide without needing to use the more familiar scalpel. i was quite amazed at a recent open day to watch her cut a locust in half, lengthwise, including through its head, before placing the 2 halves onto 2 seperate microscope slides. When viewed the cuts were as clean as if they had been done with a sharp scalpel, - and yet she had only used a pair of scissors!