The Closed Shop - Commonside

vox

Was talking to the landlord yesterday.

When I got home, I had a look to see what we know about the place, and was surprised to see that the answer is nothing. (up to now)

He has a few nice old pictures on the walls and I think he mentioned knowing of a few more recent ex keepers.

Anybody got anything ?

When I got home, I had a look to see what we know about the place, and was surprised to see that the answer is nothing. (up to now)

He has a few nice old pictures on the walls and I think he mentioned knowing of a few more recent ex keepers.

Anybody got anything ?

No sorry, it's a closed shop. he he .

I haven't come across anything on this one yet, maybe it came under beerhouses in the past because

it is an old place.

I remember going in there years ago on our way home after being in the Walkley Paladium.

Hi,

I've just been searching through my books and came across two references which explain how the pub came to be named and I have also attached a link to an image I took of the pub in 2004 plus you can also search some of my other pub photos on there.

Extract from: Pubs & People around Sheffield (by Roy Davey)

The Closed Shop at Commonside, Walkley, makes a facetious reference to the fact that owing to an oversight or misunderstanding, the place had to be closed for a short time because the licence had not been renewed.

A similar comment is made to the above in 'The Definitive A to Z listing of Sheffield Public Houses' by Michael Liversidge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23112312@N08/2212880140/in/set-72157603766504466

1957, 52-54 Common Side, Norman Baxter, Beer retailer.

(I've never really looked much after 1951 for any Pub "stuff").

Anybody got anything ?

Hi,

I've just been searching through my books and came across two references which explain how the pub came to be named and I have also attached a link to an image I took of the pub in 2004 plus you can also search some of my other pub photos on there.

Extract from: Pubs & People around Sheffield (by Roy Davey)

The Closed Shop at Commonside, Walkley, makes a facetious reference to the fact that owing to an oversight or misunderstanding, the place had to be closed for a short time because the licence had not been renewed.

A similar comment is made to the above in 'The Definitive A to Z listing of Sheffield Public Houses' by Michael Liversidge.

http://www.flickr.co...157603766504466

A old relative of my wife who was originally in the fruit and veg trade told me an alternative explanation.

According to him a one time landlord used to sell fruit and veg as a sideline from a back room in the pub.

The shop was only open during licencing hours and hence a part of the day it was a closed shop.

The other explanation sounds more plausible but you never know.

HD

We await the third possible answer ... stale mince pie as a prize.

A old relative of my wife who was originally in the fruit and veg trade told me an alternative explanation.

According to him a one time landlord used to sell fruit and veg as a sideline from a back room in the pub.

The shop was only open during licencing hours and hence a part of the day it was a closed shop.

The other explanation sounds more plausible but you never know.

HD

Adding to the intrigue:

On the 50's map it isn't marked as a pub, merely as 52-54 Commonside and 1A Hands Road.

And also, I just noticed that, if they are following the numbering on the rest of Commonside, the numbers 52 and 54 are the wrong way round.

No claims whatsoever made for this bit of information :

John Brookfield, beerhouse, Common Side, Crooks Moor (White's Directory 1833).

Henry Johnson, grocer, 52 & 4 Common Side (1879)

Henry Johnson, grocer, 52 & 4 Common Side (1881)

Henry Johnson, beer retailer & grocer, 52-54 Common Side (Kelly's 1893)

Henry Johnson & Sons, grocers, 52-54 Common Side (1901)

also Henry Johnson (and Sons), grocers, 52-54 Common Side (1911-1925)

Though a Henry Johnson is known living in Harcourt Road in 1905, and Harcourt Crescent 1911-1925.

Re vox's " numbers wrong way round."

If you look at the numbers on any of the streets on the map you will see that they

are all the same way going up the street/road then they turn as coming down the

road. They're usually like this on most maps.

Re vox's " numbers wrong way round."

If you look at the numbers on any of the streets on the map you will see that they

are all the same way going up the street/road then they turn as coming down the

road. They're usually like this on most maps.

Wrong way round Mrs. UKL, not wrong way up :)

ie. > 46, 50, 54, 52, 74, 80 >

I lived near this pub for a long while.

I was told by the landlord of the Hallamshire pub opposite that the name came from a reference to places working with full union membership only so a closed shop to anyone who didn't want to join the union. The employers supported this set-up in many workplaces.

Strangely though the "Closed Shop" pub did close for a number of years but this was apparently due to some legal/licencing issues and was named before it's closure.

We normally went into the Hallamshire for the "Wards" and snooker but were always welcomed in the Closed Shop which had many people of Irish descent amongst the customers.

I'm sure the Star did a piece about the Closed Shop being closed at some stage.

Also told The Hallamshire once had a famous football player as the landlord in Ellis Rimmer of SWFC cup winning fame.

In 1871 Henry Johnson (saw maker b 1844) was living at 47 Han[d]s Row (on Han[d]s Lane. By 1881 he was a grocer at 54 and 52 Commonside. In 1891 they were still there but were living in 56, 52 and 54 being shop premises. Henry's son Henry Gladstone Johnson was his book-keeper, and his grandson Herbert was assisting in the shop. By 1901 Henry Gladstone Johnson was running the shop, and was still there in 1911, though by then he had a beer licence:

In September 1915 the 6 day licence was transferred from Henry G Johnson to Herbert (his son). There was no pub name at this point, just the address.

Is it likely that the name "Closed Shop" arose simply when the grocery business ended, and the premises moved purely to the pub trade? Literally the closed shop.